Any recommendations on JBL S-Series speaker options?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Hansen, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Joseph Hansen

Joseph Hansen Stunt Coordinator

I am looking at upgrading my speakers in the next few months, and am leaning towards the JBL Studio series. However, I cannot afford to purchase an entire complement of speakers. Therefore, I have to do it in small steps.
    I am looking at the following starting points, and was interested in any and all recommendations:
    S-Center
    S310 Main speakers
    or
    S-Center
    S38 Main speakers
    PB10 or PB12 subwoofer
    I will probably use it for HT 75% of the time, and for music 25% of the time (classic rock, blues, classical mostly). Hopefully, my system will grow, but whichever choice I make above, I will probably be with it for a year before adding to it.
    Also, if anyone has opinions on changing any components above, I would love to hear that as well.
    Thanks,
    Joseph

2. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

All I can say is that I think you're much better off with the PB 12 than the 10. It's a negligible price difference for the difference in power, IMO.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I listened to the S312 and S38 for over an hour trying to decide between the 2 at BB.

The larger floor stand model was able to produce deeper notes and get louder. The S38s were very smooth and accurate with the sound they carried. Both speakers had identical smooth highs and upper-range.

I choose the S38s because the bookshelfs allows a flexible position and takes up far less space. The sound is almost identical when both sets of speakers are teamed with a subwoofer.

The S310 without a subwoofer will lack deep bass that the other system has. If those were the choices I think it's an absolute no brainer to go with the S38 plus 10 or 12" sub. They will sound full, able to produce loud and deeper notes, and will overall sound better IMO.

The best part is that if you decide to move to a 5.1 system you can purchase the S312ii studio JBL towers for fronts and move the S38s to the rear. Or buy another pair of S38s if you like how they sound.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you are gonna be more movie than music you definately want a sub/sat over a tower. A tower just can't compete with a powered sub. Plus not requiring your amp to drive the sub 80hz stuff can have great benefits to midrange clarity and peak output.

However, what can you get a PB12 for? Consider the Adire Rava, HSU VTF2, SVS 25-31PCi and Adire Dharman instead. What I listed is from lowest to highest price with the range being $399-$599. If the PB12 is in that price range, then take a serious look at the subs I mentioned.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

After a quick audition at BB the only speakers I'd consider from a mains point of view is the S38. I thought the others were lacking vocal clarity. I've also heard the S38's in a pretty nice HT setup (>$40K) and was impressed with them for what they were.

Brian

6. Joseph Hansen

Joseph Hansen Stunt Coordinator

Wow! There seem to be a lot of S38 fans out here! Now I have two more follow-up questions for you.
    1) How do you feel a pair of S36 speakers would compare to the S38? This is probably a moot point, since the price difference isn't that great, but I would like to know anyone's opinions.
    2) As you all are obviously aware, the S38 configuration is more horizontal than vertical. From a sonic point of view, does this give a "better" sound? Would I notice the difference if I tipped the S38 on end (for the sake of convenience, I might add, since I have more "up" room than "sideways" room)?
    Thanks again,
    Joseph

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'd think you'd screw up thier imaging capabilities big time if you stood them on end.

Check out the wieghts of the S36 (11 lbs) and S38 (28 lbs). The S36 uses that cheap feeling light plastic enclosure (so it can be wall mounted more easily). While the S38 uses a much heavier and sturdier wooden enclosure. The S38 enclosure will be significantly more dead than the S36 which is a very desirable trait in a speaker enclosure.

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter