What's new

Any Reciever have a TV tuner in it? (1 Viewer)

Bob Sisson

Agent
I am one of the few holdouts that doesn't get cable or Satalite. I survive with Roku, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon just fine. I have a regular TV upstairs, but my sound room has no over-the-air capabilities becasue I use a projector.
Other than getting an outboard TV tuner, are there any 5.1 Recievers that have a Digital tuner built in?
I say 5.1 as that is what I am setup for now...I could do 7.1 and just not use the last two chanels...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
None that I can think of.
I have a Samsung T451(I'd have to go figure out what closet I stuck it in and dust if off for the actual model number) that I've not used in 3 years.
It has DVI, component and toslink...
I also have an ORIGINAL Proscan(could be regular RCA...I forget, it does still work) Directv receiver that does OTA HD in 4:3 or 16:9. You can't call Directv for use of it either, cause Directv wants them back...(give you an idea the era this is from. The "industry" hadn't yet decided if VGA or component video was the "wave of the future". I have the VGA-component adapter with it)
I managed to "forget where it was" 9 years ago...they've forgotten about it. It would take 3 figures to pry it out of my possession(it is that good. The last time Directv called to ask if I'd found it yet was 2 years ago. Staring at it, in use, I said..."nope...not a clue" ).

Bob Sisson

Agent
In that case, what is the best OTA reciever that I can plug into my Component inputs? My older AV-reciever doesn't have HDMI

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, there are Samsung SIR-T(something or the other, not to be confused with the Directv boxes) that pop up on Fleabay frequently. I'd sell mine, but the prices of the ones on there...and the "frequency at which they don't sell"(mainly from lack of people that need them) means I keep mine dust covered in a closet.
I've been tempted to sell my ProScan/RCA box...but I haven't seen an Ebay example in so long I forget its worth. But I won't take less than $150.
I was going to find an example of each, but there aren't any(kinda shocked), but there are remotes for the SIR-T451(which I think mine is) that is the correct remote.
If you need it, Toshiba still makes a digital tuner DVD-R...but it isn't cheap.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is an old Amazon listing for the T451...
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SIR-T451-Definition-Terrestrial-Tuner/dp/B00064L1AI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks