1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Any Reccomendations on 5 Disc DVD Changers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Hauben, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Steve Hauben

Steve Hauben Stunt Coordinator

Just want a good changer w/component outputs, don't need anything fancy.
    Any reccomendations?
    -Steve
    [Edited last by Steve Hauben on July 25, 2001 at 01:39 PM]

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have a 5 disc carousel Panasonic DVD CV51 and its good so far. Its a 5 disc RV31. Its not a progressive player. I find the picture is excellent and it has not experienced any errors during playback. The player also plays MP3's recorded on CDR/CDRW. My only complaints are that using it as a CD player, it takes a few seconds to read a disc and it does not allow program or random playback of CDR/RW MP3's. Oh well, it is my DVD player. Works well so far. Its nice to have the ability to have 2 discs of a long movie, or the extra's in the player along with the movie so you don;t have to get up and change it.

3. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

4. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Steve,
    I don't how much you are willing to spend, but for "around" $700 street price you should be able pickup the new Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 player in a few weeks. It's due out in August and looks like it'll be a new reference 5-disc player if it even comes close to meeting expectations.
    It's big brother is the Kenwood Sovereign 400-disc DV-5900M and this player was included in the "DVD Player Shootout II" conducted by Secrets of Home Theater, with results due out about July 31st at their WEB site.
    Both players have identical electronics and specifications - just 5-disc versus 400-disc capability.
    You might want to wait a bit and read the Shootout II results on the DV-5900M to see how the DV-5700 will perform. I you like what you read about the 5900M, you'll like the 5700.
    Both players are the first in the world to utilize both outstanding Sage/Faroudja chips - the FLI2200 deinterlacer chip and the FLI2220 video enhancer chip. They're loaded with a bunch of other features in addition to these chips.
    Check em' out.
    ------------------
    Phil N.

5. BurkeP

BurkeP Extra

I second the other Burke's suggestion of the Pioneer DV-C503. I've had mine since January, and it's a great no-frills player. The FF/REW functions aren't great, and the on-screen graphics are terrible, but it is eminently capable when it comes to playing software.
    A friend just ordered Panasonic's CV51, which is a changer that also plays mp3's. I think it's under $300 at etronics.com. I dont' know how good it is, but it might be worth looking into. Good luck.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have the Sony DVP-C670D, which is a very solid DVD changer. It has a lot of nice features and an excellent remote. I've been very pleased with the picture quality as well. It sells for around $350.
    My girlfriend has the Pioneer DV-C503, which represents an excellent value. I prefer my Sony for features and the remote, but the Pioneer was a good bit less expensive, as she got it for $220 at Costco a few months ago. At that price, I doubt you will find a better player.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime