What's new

Any reason to upgrade to XP pro? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have been seeing upgrades to XP pro for under $40 which seems pretty reasonable.
Is there any stability improvements or any other reason why I would want this.

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Stability should be exactly the same since they are the same "under the hood".

XP Pro basically just gives you more stuff:

Remote Desktop
Offline files and folders
Multiprocessor support
Encrypted file system
Better security
Ability to join a domain

plus a few more I can't think of at the moment.

James T

Screenwriter
XP Pro compred to XP Home?

I have Home at home adn Pro at school. I've pretty much used all the features in both and my opinion is that unless you want a network or setup users with restricted access to certain files, then just stick with Home edition.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I use XP Pro so that I can open a Remote Connection from work. Works great! I can use IM, check my personal email, etc. without cluttering up my work machine with useless crap. :)

KyleS

Screenwriter
So what are you saying Max you keep all of your useless Crap on your Home PC? ;)

KyleS

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Kyle: Well ya...if you count videogames and email and chatting as useless. :)

I'm still very wary of VNC...it is incredibly slow even on a 1 megabit connection. Is UltraVNC faster than a tranquilized sloth?

JasonWynia

Agent
If you haven't used either TightVNC or UltraVNC, then it's faster than you're used to as both versions use much better compression. UltraVNC has the compression and also does scaling so you can actually see all of a 1024x768 desktop on another 1024x768 monitor without scrolling. It's been a while since I've had to use it on a connection slower than 3-4Mbit, but I used to use it from work to home over my cable connection which had an upload cap much lower than a megabit, more like 128 or 256K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks