Any reason to pick the Onkyo 494 over the Denon 1602

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by eric_c_lai, Mar 5, 2002.

1. eric_c_lai

eric_c_lai Auditioning

So after reading many forums, I've narrowed my choices to either the Denon 1602 or the Onkyo 494. I can get the Denon at a price fairly close to the Onkyo, so I'm thinking go for the Denon? After pairing that to some Paradigm Titans, I should be happier than a pig in mud right?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think the 1602 would be the better choice, but you would likely be happy with either.

As for Titans, you will want a sub for any serious HT listening. Music will be fine, unless you need a lot of low bass. I am using Titans w/out a sub in my bedroom via a Marantz SR4000, and I am very pleased with the sound.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

You may want to check out the reviews on this site because both of the receivers are reviewed: CHT Reviews
    Personally, I'd take the $325 - $400 that you are going to spend on one of the two receivers and possibly look for something used. You might find something with a bit more power or some additional features which will push the next upgrade off a bit further.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I agree with Wayne...Lots of good deals out there. One example:
    Accessories4less has the refurbished Marantz 5200 for $400.
    Here's a link:
    http://www.accessories4less.com/advs...&sPrice=399.99
    1 year warranty which you can upgrade. 7 channel pre-outs, 7
    channel inputs. You're good to go.

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

How bout a brand new Integra DTR-5.1 for $450!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1336049847
    19hrs left at the time of this writing!!
    It's basically a pretty Onkyo TX-DS575x (which I own and love)...very easy to use, great remote, great sound, and solid build. It compares to the Denon AVR-1801. Anyway, you'd miss out on Dolby Pro Logic 2...big whoop in my opinion.
    Pic of the 5.1
    specs

6. eric_c_lai

eric_c_lai Auditioning

whoa...

$350~$400

Did I read the prices wrong somewhere? I used Pricegrabber to get the prices and I got back about 250.00 for the 682 (which I learned is roughly the identical product). Yes I realize that this an "unauthorized Internet dealer". But given the price constraint for $300 roughly, does the 1602/682 still make a good choice?

Yes, this is mostly for music in my tiny apartment. HT will have to wait till after the summer.

Thanks again.

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

8. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

I have used the Onkyo 494 with a pair of Titans and was very pleased with the result. I paid $299 for the 494 at crutchfield, and have since found a Denon 1802 for $375, so I am going to send the 494 back. I really have no complaints about the 494, and it powers the Titans well. But the 1802 will give me 80x5 watts instead of 55x5, and the reviews I have read say it offers just a bit more than the Onkyos (494 and 595) in terms of features.

I'm sure you will be happy with whichever you choose. I don't know anything about the 682 though.

9. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

I say go with the 1602 its a better choice. I compared it with Onkyo when I was looking and ended up with the 1602.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

10. Alexis

Alexis Stunt Coordinator

get the 1602. It has a full implementation of DPL2 vs the onkyo and has more power.

The 1802 doesn't add that much over the 1602, only 10watts per channel, a couple more digital inputs, and preouts for the front channels. If these are things that you aren't going to be using, you shouldn't have to pay for them.