What's new

Any reason to hang on to MGM version of Oz? (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
I was just reorganizing my collection and noticed I still have a copy of the MGM release of The Wizard of Oz. I also have the Warner Bros. release. Any reason to keep the MGM one?

TIA!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The WB edition has better color, less print flaws (especially in the sepia tinted sections) and one astounding "sepia-to-colorization" effect (missing since 1938).

The MGM Oz DVD is what the MGM 2001 is to the WB remastered 2001.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
To me the MGM version's colors are more saturated even if the transformation scene isn't original.
The original mono soundtrack is only available on the MGM version (the Warner version has erroneous info about the sountrack on the cover).
The movie was an MGM release so the disc is "studio" related.
and...
You won't get much for it on the open market :)

Han

Second Unit
Randy B A, you beat me to the punch!
Since the movie itself will probably always be in print, especially the better transfer, there's no point trying to sell the MGM one. Just put the Warner disc inside the MGM keep case, and keep that. Put the MGM disc in the Warner snapper, and give that to a family member or friend who's just starting their collection.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The WB disc utilizes the "stencil printing" effect used in the original prints, whereby each frame was tinted for a smoother transition to color. The MGM disc simply presents the film as it was shot, not how it was first presented (in regards to the switch to color.)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Thanks everyone. Mark, I guess I hadn't really thought about selling it as I wouldn't think it's worth much. I figured if I didn't keep it I'd give it to my buddys kids.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
If you decide to keep it or give it to your friend's kids, that's certainly cool. I just thought I'd ask because I'm looking for a copy of the original MGM disk in the amaray case. If you want to sell, just let me know. Thanks.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The purists like the MGM disc for the un-screwed-with mono soundtrack. If that means nothing to you, ditch it.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Hey Brian... Thanks for your quick response earlier, As it turns out, I have a friend who found me one. I do appreciate your time and help. -Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks