Any Reason to get a DVD + R/RW Drive Instead of Just - ?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Larry Talbot, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

My girlfriend bought me a DVD drive/burner for my birthday. It works for both + and -. From what I can tell, all the applications I would ever use it for only require -, not +. She said she paid a lot more to have both and could exchange it for a much better value if I only wanted -. Should I just get the DVD - drive instead? What would I be losing out on?

2. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

It is best to be able to use both. Plus and Minus are essentially identical, with both formats working in 90% of older players and pretty much all newer players. So regardless of all opinions as to whether one format has a slight edge over the other format, the best reason to get (or keep) a +/- drive is simply so that you double the availability of blank media you can safely buy and use.

At the moment, another reason to buy a dual format drive as you did is that 4x media is more widely available in the + format. It will soon be available in - format too, but again, being able to use both lets you shop more easily.

You mention applications that "require" DVD-R. Bear in mind that when people discuss DVD-R they are generally referring to both DVD-R and DVD+R, it is just easier to write "DVD-R" when one is writing an article, for example.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Flexibility is the key, plus having dual-write capability means you can take advantage of blank DVD deals in the future.

Most players will read DVD-R or DVD+R, but it's a crap-shoot on DVD-RW or DVD+RW (as in YMMV type of situation). At our office, we have some older DVD-ROM drives for laptops that don't read DVD+RWs or DVD-RWs, while another DVD-ROM drive will read DVD-RW but not DVD+RW (while both drives will read DVD-R and DVD+R).

5. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Thanks a lot for your help guys. Guess I'll keep the drive I have now (which is kind of what I wanted to do anyway.) Thanks again!