any reason not to have 7 full range speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

If money and space were not a concern, is there any reason not to have 7 (for 7.1) full range matching speakers in a theater?
    jeremy

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Nope
    Jeremy

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be KILLER. But then again, there are always those people out there who think an all nOrh system would top an all DT bp2000TL system for a home theater setup [​IMG]

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Space?
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

5. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

You "MAY" be able to achieve equal or better sound with a separate subwoofer system. This separate subwoofer system "MAY" be less expensive than the 7 truly full range speakers. The separate subwoofer system would probably be easier to tune to your room than the 7 full range speakers.
    So the two reasons I can think of are:
    1) Easier to EQ separate sub system.
    2) I find it immoral to waste money. Now if you find that the 7 full range speakers out perform the system with the separate subs, then whether or not you are wasting money would be a subjective opinion.

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Shade I think he means a system with 7 full range speakers + external sub(s) to handle the LFE. Also, I believe that bass effects are directional so sometimes you will feel the bass only from the rear, sometimes only from the front, and sometimes from all around...so a full range system should convey this "effect" very nicely. Imagine the overall dynamics and involvement of that kind of a setup!
    [Edited last by Bob_A on August 31, 2001 at 10:02 PM]

7. Jeremy Illingworth

Thank you Bob, I did mean to put seven full range speakers complimented by front and rear subs. The woman and I are starting to think about building our own house in the country (my lifelong dream) and I was planning the dream theater on reasonable budget. All the speakers wouldn't be $65,000 a pair or anything; I was thinking more along the lines of full range speakers in the rear would be better than my little bookshelf speakers I have now.
    jeremy

8. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Jeremy what is your price range? If you are planning such a system you should seriously consider a setup with all Def Tech bp2000TL's. Their street price is around 2000-2500. For subs you should probably check out SVS. The DT's will sound quite amazing even with high end receivers (yamaha rx-v1, b&k avr307, high end Marantz, and denon 5800 all seem like great matches). You would have one killer killer setup! And one great thing is that the 2000TL's have a very slim profile (won't take up half your room) and look superb (to help appease the wife)! Also, when set up well, they sound truly amazing on music as well. Look at the reviews at audioreview for more info on how to best set them up, or you can email me. Good luck!
    [Edited last by Bob_A on September 01, 2001 at 12:45 AM]

9. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

How would that work with your center channel? Wouldn't a 35"-45" speaker get in the way of your television? I guess this is the reason center speakers are made to be placed on top of the television.
    Aaron

10. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

11. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    In the perfect environment where space and money and speaker size is not a problem, 7 full range speakers would be perfect. You can timber match everything and that would be the ultimate set-up. Atleast, that is my opinion. But a sub or two or three or four is needed in there somewhere.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Laserdisc Collection

12. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

Another possible problem would be rear speaker placement for movies. I believe the proper setup for DD is to have the rear speakers elevated over the heads of the listeners. How would you get those big full range speakers over your head?
    For multi channel music, this may not be a problem.

13. Jeremy Illingworth

The center will be mounted behind the screen for the FP. As for the rears, the theater will probably have colums along the side and back walls. The rears will be intergrated into the top half of the colums. I not going to start picking speakers now because this won't get going for a couple of years and my budget may change radically by then. Hopefully in the upward direction.
    jeremy

14. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor