Any reason NOT to get an iPod?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rich Malloy, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

My wife and daughter are really interested in getting some iPods, and I also think they look fantastic. We've only got Windows-based PCs, none with Firewire connections. Any reason NOT to get iPods?

Would the 10GB model be sufficient (is it still on the market)?

What about the mini iPods?

THANKS! [​IMG]

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

My only problem with iPods is the cost, but if you're comfortable with that, than go for it.

I have a 30GB Creative Nomad Jukebox that suits my needs and was way cheaper than an iPod with equivalent capacity. It's not as slim, but I'm fine with that, and it doesn't have the iTunes support, but I don't care about that either, as I rarely if ever download music.

3. Michael St. Clair

The cost isn't that big of a factor with me, but I'm not crazy about the (actual) battery life and the lack of gapless playback for tracks that segue.

The iPod is not the only player with these drawbacks. I'm very interested in the Karma for the gapless playback...I'm still procrastinating.

I may even get one of the new Hi-MD portables from Sony come April. I still love how lightweight my MD players are compared to the hard drive music players.

4. Tim H

Tim H Stunt Coordinator

I've never noticed this issue with my iPod. I've got a live Guster concert that segues just fine. How big of a gap are you referring to?

5. Michael St. Clair

My VP put 'Dark Side of the Moon' in his iPod and we both hear little gaps between songs. The gaps are tiny, but that doesn't make them less irritating to me. Did he do something wrong?

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The "gaps" thing would be an issue for me, too. Is this an easy fix (like burning "disc-at-once" on CD-R), or a much more difficult thing to work around?

Any comments on the battery life issue? Does this just mean more recharging, or is the life of the iPod itself limited as a result?

7. andrew markworthy

I think it depends how much music you're going to listen to and whether you need to carry other things around with you. I have a Sony Clie PDA that with a couple of memory sticks can carry around all the music I need, plus of course I have the advantage of the PDA as well. I've found battery life to be acceptable (whilst playing, you can switch off the screen which tends to be the real power hog). Not a patch on the capacity and cuteness of the iPod, I know, but it depends how much music you really need to have on you at any one time.

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  9. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I bought myself a Rio Karma for Christmas and it's an awesome player. A little over $250 (after mail in $20 rebate) for a 20GB player. Even though I like the Ipod, I couldn't justify the much higher price ($400 for 20GB). IMO the Karma also sounds better than the Ipod and the battery charge lasts for around 15 hours.

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Originally, I was thinking of getting an iPod. But with Sony's pending release of Hi-MD, I am waiting for the new MD recorders/players.

Here's some info on Hi-MD.

11. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I love my iPods. I have a 5gb one, my wife has a 5gb one, and I just ordered an iPod Mini for myself. Having said that, Penny Arcade did the best comic I've ever seen about why you shouldn't buy an iPod.

A Penny Saved...

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I own a 10Gig third gen iPod. (They new smallest regular iPod is 15Gig).

My gripes:

*Scratches way too easy. I would have prefered the minipods aluminum case.

*Only comes in white.

Thats it. I like it except for the easy to scratch white. You'll need to buy a protective cover for your iPod. Had I waited until they were available I would have bought a mini-iPod, because my whole music collection is under 4 Gigs

13. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

The current iPods support FireWire and USB 2.0 (although you might need an extra cable for the latter). If you have USB 2.0 ports, or if you have a free PCI slot into which you could install a (FireWire, USB 2.0, or combo) card, you should be OK as far as data transfer rate.

14. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

From the Sony link:

The 1GB sounds good, but who wants to listen to music that has been compressed down to 48 Kbps? I don't know anyone who thinks that LP4 (or lower) is ideal for music.

I hope that Sony is planning to implement standard ATRAC recording on Hi-MD discs.

15. Michael St. Clair

Quote:

The 1GB sounds good, but who wants to listen to music that has been compressed down to 48 Kbps? I don't know anyone who thinks that LP4 (or lower) is ideal for music.

Bitrate alone is meaningless. This is a new codec, and sound quality of each bitrate must be re-evaluated.

Encoding ModeRecording capacity(1)Created by ...305MB Hi-MD
    formatted Minidisc1GB Hi-MD Mediarecording with
    Hi-MD equipmentdownloading from PC
    to Hi-MD equipmentLinear PCM 1.4mbps28m1h 34mOyesXnoATRAC3plus 256kbps "Hi-SP"2h 20m7h 55mOyesOyesATRAC3plus 64kbps "Hi-LP"10h 10m34hOyesOyesATRAC3plus 48kbps13h 30m45hXnoOyesATRAC3 132kbps "LP2"4h 50m16h 30mXnoOyesATRAC3 105kbps6h 10m20h 50mXnoOyesATRAC3 66kbps "LP4"9h 50m32h 50mXnoOyesATRAC 292kbps "SP"Not supported on Hi-MD media

16. charles white

charles white Second Unit

I have a 20gig 3G iPod and I love it. And I'm using it with Windows XP Pro w/out any problems. Back to the original poster's question, I would not get an iPod if your computer doesn't have either Firewire or USB 2. Otherwise, data transfers with USB will take hours to complete. Is it the best on the market? Probably not if you look at the iRiver or the Dell DJ. No surprise for Sony to strike out on their own in this market with its propietary codec and hardware. It's the not first time. Someone complained about iPod colors earlier. You can get it custom colorized at a website called colorware.com or just wait the HP-branded iPods that will be available in HP blue. As for the iPod mini, I think Apple really missed the mark on it. For $50 more, you can get the 15gig iPod.

17. Michael St. Clair

It's an updated Minidisc; an extension of the format that is over a decade old.

They aren't really so much striking out on their own as continuing support for an older format which they have never abandoned.

18. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I got the Rio Karma for Christmas and it's great!

~T

19. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

I bought my wife and sister the 10gig IPOD. They love it. I have them both at about 60 percent full and they still haven't listened to all of the songs yet. I also have 4 different playlists and what have you. They have not complained about the battery life.

My wife uses her's more at work. She gets a full 8+ hours out of it ever day, comes home and hooks it up to the charger and takes it back to work with her. Loves it! Easy to nav and easy to load music on. I am using it with a WINXP machine with fire wire, and man is the fire wire fast for transfering songs to and from......

R~