What's new

Any reason not to get a rear projection? (1 Viewer)

Jon Sotelo

Auditioning
I will have about $2000.00 to spend on a new TV and I really want to get a 16:9 rear projection such as the Mitubishi Platinum 46in or the Toshiba TW 40-81. I don't really want to go bigger than say 50 inches or so becasue my room is so small. I watch a LOT of sports, anime, and widescreen DVDs with not as much television but it is there.
Anyway I have been told that rear projections are NOT the tv's to have because they have huge problems with them. Breaking down, having to be re adjusted, wearing out quickly, screen burn in from station logos...
I thought that if properly caibrated, VE, then there were not problems from the burn in. Any truths to this? Should I be looking for a tube TV instead?
THANKS!

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Jon,
Anyone that tells you an RPTV is any more or less prone to
failure than any Direct View TV set simply does not know
what they are talking about. Rear Projection TV's come in a
couple diffrent flavors the most simple being the tride and
true CRT RPTV. The CRT versions use 3 TV Tubes each only
displaying a fixed color R G or B usualy 9" per tube in size
and they do not suffer from any more or any less longevity
issues than any other CRT device. Any CRT can get BURN IN
even Direct View CRT's will develop logo burn in when one
fixed still image is constantly displayed.
I have a 61" CRT RPTV and I would not go back to Direct View
and I will never go back to anything smaller than 45" that
is for certain! RPTV's these days last 10 or more years for
most cases. I am not going to say they all last that long
but generaly speaking it's acceptable to do repairs on a TV
that costs between 2 and 3 thousand dollars therfore if a
problem did arise it would be economicly sound to get it
repaired rather than to replace it. Most CRT tubes in RPTV's
have at the very least a 2-5 year warranty.
------------------

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I agree w/Brett DiMichele. I would not go back to Direct View after upgrading my highly reviewed (Brent Butterworth for Video) 1995 35" Toshiba Direct-view (bought a week before the 49er's vs. Charger's Superbowl :)) to the new Toshiba 50" 16:9 HDTV Monitor.
The Toshiba 50H81 was not available in California until sometime after August 8th @ Sears, Best Buy, etc., but after viewing the few digital pic's posted by a HT SPoT forum member (he received his around July 20th in Florida), I ordered my 50H81 on July 23rd for $2,075.00 (including FREE SH - no CA tax) and received mine on August 1st.
I was so impressed on what I saw, the next morning I also posted my http://www.geocities.com/mv_us_2000/Toshiba_50H81_HDTV.html
Phil
------------------
http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra
[Edited last by Phil Iturralde on October 11, 2001 at 10:57 AM]

Jon Sotelo

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies, the Tosh 50H81 seems to be just about exactlly what I am looking for! Those pics are Awesome!
Where did you get your set from?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Where did you get your set from?
I purchased mine from Continental Trading thru their website. My experience with them was OK - though other consumer's have had problems with them so I cannot honestly recommend them. Basically they are not service oriented and their site is not automated for getting tracking INFO/Status on your order. You can obtained that INFO/Status via (multiple) emails** and (not or) phone calls** (888 toll-free) - for some it's a hassel.
**My experience had it's moments but I received my 50H81 in 8 business days.
Besides, CT price is now $2,095.00 w/Free SH (curb-side delivery only - house/room delivery extra which should be arranged upfront).
If you search the web, you might find a better deal. Other's have been successful price-matching this or other internet price w/Sears.
Hope this helps,
Phil
------------------
http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra

Jon Sotelo

Auditioning
Thanks, I found a reputable dealer that I have delt with before that will let it go for $2090.00 shipped curbside. They can't ship until the end of October but they are official and under warranty. I better get some help bringing it inside thou!.
Does anyone recommend the extended warranty for this thing? It's about $230.00 for 3 years with onsite repair.

Dano_G

Auditioning
IMO, you really should consider Mits. Aside from problems you hear about, all R/FPTVs are subseptible. Mits quality and support are really great. Don't take my word, try them and you'll see for yourself.
------------------
"Can you hear me shutting up??"

Jon Sotelo

Auditioning
I did it! I just bought a Toshiba 50H81 It shipped today and delivery will be next week!
THANKS!!!
[Edited last by Jon Sotelo on October 12, 2001 at 02:01 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks