1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Any reason NOT to do an IB

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Lee, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Greg Lee

Greg Lee Agent

You guys have really gotten under my skin and I have to do a DIY sub. I'm motivated by the project in itself,and of course I want bodacious bass. My SVS25-31 seems pretty awesome to my relatively uninitiated ears (and body) but this forum has convinced me that I NEED MORE !!

Are there any disadvantages to an IB, assuming of course one isn't planning to move in the near future? To achieve comparable quality and quantity of bass, do you need more amp power, more drivers, etc.?

One obvious disadvantage that comes to mind is the inability to corner load it; in my case I would need a manifold setup in the floor, open to a dry 6' high crawlspace; I could center the opening between the mains right in front of the TV.

My room is 6500 cu.ft., not counting openings. Usage is about 40/60 music vs HT.

Does the house get shaken any worse? Already a lot of things rattle from the SVS.

Roughly how big would the hole in the floor have to be, and could it be long and narrow?

If I don't go IB, I think I would go for a sonosub of about 8 cu.ft, with 2 drivers; of course I say this without benefit of any real design work, just based on my reading in the forum.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

3. Greg Lee

Greg Lee Agent

Thank Thomas. Within minutes after my post I found the 'cult' and am reading away. You seem to be a prominent figure there.[​IMG] Already a number of my questions have been answered, and I have some good ideas.
    Greg

4. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I wonder why he is so popular over there? [​IMG]
    Must be that sub of his. :p)