What's new

Any reason NOT to buy an SACD player now? (1 Viewer)

Mike-grouse

Stunt Coordinator
The only reason not to buy is to wait for a dvd player that can play both DVD-A and SACD.

Both sound similar bu tI prefer SACD myself.

Now if they only had DVDs that I wanted.

For $200 why discuss.
Just go out and buy it so you can enjoy hi-res audio now.

Honestly Stereo SACD sounds better in most cases than 5 channel. So get discs that have both so you can try it out for yourself.

Hope this helps

WarrenCo

Agent
I auditioned the Marantz 8300 in my home and the Pioneer 47A in the store and didn't care for either of them. IN particular the SACD performance sounded bright and harsh to my ears. I ordered the Sony 555ES today after hearing it in a store. I thought it sounded good with both SACD and Redbook CD. The 555 seems to be a very good value right now.

As far as waiting I think a digital connection would be great, but who knows how long it will take for that to surface. Also, we will need to get a new Processor to handle it. I have the INtegra Research RDC-7 which has an excellent upgrade history so far, so I might be able to upgrade, but who knows. Since my current CD Changer is by far the weakest link in my otherwise high-end system I figured for $550 it was a good choice.

As far as DVD-Audio, I own the Panasonic RP-91 and I really love DVD-Audio. From what I have heard so far I prefer DVD-Audio to SACD.

I will probably use the 555 with 2 channel SACD for a while because I don't want to add another 10 cables and a switcher to my system at the moment.

Hope the 555 sounds good in my system.

Warren

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Why Not Buy SACD? He he! Remember Betamax? Remember minidisc?
Yes, I remember them well. Two formats that of course did not have longevity in the marketplace. It's not unusal for companies to create a format or new product and bring it to market and hope that it is received with open arms after careful study. The mini and the Betamax are two of those attempts that failed.

SACD may be another of those "Failures," but of course that remains to be seen. However, large companies always take educated risks and if you get burned as a buyer of their product/products when the demise occurs, you move on.

In this case, if you are in the DVD-A corner or wherever you make your stance in the world of playback material, I don't think SACD is a Bose-O effort on Sony's part. The product sounds superior to regular CD's and of course so does DVD-A.

Actually I give Sony a lot of credit for investing the time and money into a product that is superior in sound compared to Redbook CD playback. My listening pleasure has been enhanced due to them bringing this product to market. Music after a long hiatus in my life, has come back to life thanks to the SACD format.

My personal strategy when deciding on this product/format was I could not lose because the 555ES was a superior player in Redbook compared to my other unit. If SACD takes off then I am one up due on the cost/performance of this unit.

I sometimes do not quite understand the mentality of consumers who bash SACD or DVD-A. They both have their merits. The "Mine is better then your's" is a sucko attitude. You may prefer a specific format and you are entitled to that choice. As my friends son always tells me, "Whatever floats your boat."

Competition is such a good thing for us all. It can help produce better products, decrease prices and in the end, we all win. Why does there have to be one winner, one format that is a clear cut champion?

SACD advocates like SACD. DVD-A supporters like DVD-A. I hope they both survive and do well. Either format is a step up from regular CD playback.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Well, I ordered the Sony 755 DVD/SACD player with the intention of it being a DVD player that happened to do SACDs.

I ordered the Joe Satriani SACD from Amazon. When it gets here, I'll check it out. This was a 'I like Joe Satriani, let's hear what he sounds like on SACD instead of CDs' so if it's not any better to my ears, I still get a Joe Satriani CD

Not knowing anything about SACD other than 'It's Better' though I don't think I'll be disappointed. I expect to be something from Mildly surprised to Blown away, probably depending on the capabilities of my player.

Running it through a Sony TA-E9000ES Pre-amp.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I think you will be pleased and the good title momentum is building...
Great minds think alike. :D :D
By the way Lee. On WFAN, a major, local sports talk station in NYC, they ranked baseball teams for the October classic. Mike and and Maddog were utilizing pitching as the major criteria because as we all know, pitching wins pennants. 7 games series.
Here's the order.
1. Oakland
2. Braves
3. Diamondbacks
4. Yankees

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
By the way Lee. On WFAN, a major, local sports talk station in NYC, they ranked baseball teams for the October classic. Mike and and Maddog were utilizing pitching as the major criteria because as we all know, pitching wins pennants. 7 games series.
Chas,

Thanks for the baseball update. I am glad to see the Braves near the top of the list, however I am disappointed in the players for the recent strike nonsense. I may sit out this year's playoffs, even as a Braves fan. At least football is on.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Tom, Sony's pop and rock releases have been spotty so far- their musical choices are sometimes questionable (Mariah Carey?) and some of the SACD sonics are not considered to be particularly good compared the excellent sound of other titles. Bruce Springstein, Billy Joel, and Roger Waters, for example- I have read mixed things.

However, the Joe Satriani disc is great! It is my favorite Sony SACD rock title by far. A very big improvement over the CD. Also, look for his new album to be released as a multi-channel SACD as well.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee said:
I may sit out this year's playoffs, even as a Braves fan. At least football is on.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am sour to baseball now. Thankfully, it is football season. I don't know if you were speaking of college or pro football, but I am especially glad the college football season has started. Penn State actually won it's opener! :) Of course, they didn't look good doing it. :frowning: And they play Nebraska next. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
Mike,
I have Joe Satriani Engines of Creation both on CD and SACD, and the two aren't close. The CD is dead by comparison. Now if Sony would only give us Surfing with the Alien on SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks