What's new

Any reason not to buy an RCA HD61LPW42 (1 Viewer)

Daniel De

Agent
We were checking one out today and the wife said to get it. I said I wanted to check here first and see if we could get some feedback first. It looked very good, but don't they all when your shopping.

Dan

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
Dan
I have looking at DLPS for some time now.I see rainbows on the Rca but not the Samsung.I make sure you have a 30 day return policy.I feel that Samsung makes the better set right now.This summer Panasonic is going to offer an dlp also.With the price of lcd sets cheaper dlps will come down in price this year.Good luck

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
The HD2+ and HD3 chips are coming out soon as well. The same money might get you a better tv in 6 months to a year.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There's a big design flaw in the current RCA DLPs. Even though it's a native 720p display, it doesn't accept 720p signal. You must use 480p or 1080i inputs, which means that any input will be scaled using the internal scaler, which means you can't reap the benifits of a source w/ a better scaler outputting the native resolution. Depending on your sources and whether or not you plan to upgrade those as well may not make a difference. The TVs still look great, but when i saw one side by side with a Samsung DLP the Sammy was slightly sharper with more realistic colors (although this could be due to poor calibration).

The reason behind the lack of 720p inputs it that RCA recycled the input architecture from their lower level HD RPTVs which don't accept 720p either. Maybe the next gen RCA DLPs will fix this. These look promising because they're using an Infocus built light engine and should offer a great value/lower price than the Samsung DLPs and the Sony & Panasonic LCDs.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks