Any reason for locking out subtitles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LARUE, Oct 18, 2001.

1. LARUE

LARUE Stunt Coordinator

I was watching Heartbreakers last night and wanted clarification of a bit of dialogue. A feature I love on DVD is the ability to click on the subtitles and have those mumbled moments spelled out for me.
    In this case (and a few others) the subtitle feature was locked out.
    Does anyone know the reasoning behind this? Is it due to the Russian waiter scene in the middle of the film that seemed to use subtitles? I've returned the disc (rental) so I can't check this out.
    thanks,
    LARUE [​IMG]

2. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

By "locking out" subtitles do you mean that you don't have the ability to switch subtitles on and off while the movie is playing (i.e. necessitating going to the menu system to toggle them)?
    What scene in particular were you looking to clarify?

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

The DVD has to be coded to allow on-the-fly changes--even skipping to the next chapter. If the DVD author is lazy or forgets to code for these things, they won't work.
    It's a bit like writing a Windows program that displays a row of buttons on the screen. If you don't put code in to act when the buttons are clicked, nothing will happen when you click them.
    KJP

4. Alan_Plummer

Alan_Plummer Auditioning

It's not an authoring problem.
    The reason the subtitle button is locked out on your remote is because there is a "forced" subtitle stream present on the disc.
    A "forced" subtitle stream is automatically turned on when a foreign language is selected. The remote subtitle button is locked out so that a user doesn't accidentally turn off the "forced" subtitle stream.
    "Forced" subtitles are used when there is texted sections present in the film or a foreign language is spoken. Therefore, if a user selects French audio, then French "forced" subtitles will pop-up to translate.

5. Adrian_N

Adrian_N Agent

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The theatrical prints had some English subtitles onscreen translating the dialogue spoken in Russian. Since MGM likes to mess with their DVDs as much as possible, they took the subtitles off the film and had them come up as player-generated subtitles instead. If you play the French-dubbed version, it will show these subtitles in French rather than English. Their past discs didnt' have the subtitle button locked out so you could watch these with no subtitles at all, or in English with French translations if you so chose, but looks like they forced the subtitle tracks to be on this time. (These are separate subtitles than the ones you would have on if you were watching it in English with French subtitles that translated everything being said.)