Any real difference in Component cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Gerard Martin, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

For example generally speaking would a Blue Jeans Component cable provide better picture quality than a RS Gold cable. Conection would be between a DVD and TV. Early reply sincerely appreciated. Thanks

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    NO

3. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I'm deciding to make my own component cables. Right now, I have a rat nest of cables in the back of my equipment rack, creating voltage and crossover among the cables. Plus, its nearly impossible to find the exact lenght of component cables that you need. They either come in 3, 6, 12, feets.

I just bought:

BELDEN WIRE&CABLE 1694A-1000-10 BELDEN (120ft)
    CANARE RCA MALE BEL1694A (24)

It was less than $100.

I got the tools that I needed for $40 at a hardware store.

If broadcasters and studios the same materials for their cables, I think it will be fine for my setup.

It's a weekend project.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Gerald,
    As someone who owns both, YES. Go with the Bluejeans.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm sorry -but the real world is more complex to give a single answer to this question.

Here is a question to you: How much do you have to magnify that DVD video signal before defects/noise/artifacts become visible?

Consider this:

System A: A 19" Tube television connected to a DVD player : the cable would not show any apparent difference. (I often recommend the RS cable or the AR Pro2 cables for smaller displays).

System B: A 65" HDTV connected to a progressive scan DVD player : Yes, the cable will make a difference.

Remember that "Component" video is a 1940's standard. It was designed to carry a Black and White video signal (interlace) to a 9" tube.

Even with a 19" bedroom set, you are magnifying the video over 2X what it was designed for. Bigger TV -> more magnification.

Put a generic cable in the signal path -> problems become visible with less magnification.

See the complexitity?

My advice: If your television is less than 40" and standard video only, go with the AR Pro2 cables from places like Best Buy or Sears.

If your TV is larger than 40" or is HD capable - get a cable designed for the frequencies involved.

6. AsiaM

AsiaM Auditioning

Bob
    Based on the above what would you suggest for a 30" Samsung HDTV and Sony progressive scan DVD or at this size does it really matter. Thanks

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi AsiaM. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]

Inexpensive cables will appear to work - but "component" is a 1940's standard. They are not designed for Progressive or HD.

Here are the frequencies involved:

Component video : 4 Mhz max
    Progressive Video : 12 Mhz max
    HD Video : 35 Mhz

For a HD Samsung - go with a cable that says "HD Video" or has bandwidth numbers like: 90 Mhz or more.

The coax from places like BlueJeansCables - Has a bandwidth over 110 Mhz. It's what I have on my Samsung HD for the HD connection and the connection for the DVD player.

For the SVideo connection from the Sat box - I am using an ARPro2 Svideo cable. These work great for Standard Video sources.

Hope this helps.

8. AsiaM

AsiaM Auditioning

Bob
    It certainly does help, again many thanks.

9. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Bob
    Thanks for the heads-up on Blue Jeans cable. Just replaced a Monster 800 component cable with a Blue Jeans,and WOW just like NIGHT and DAY the Blue Jeans cable did the job twice as good at half the price. To answer the question, is there any difference, you bet there is.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

There are reasons to get Blue Jean or other "better quality" cables. They are mostly if you have a very difficult interference situation such as you have to run your cables right next to power lines, or if the appearance of the cables matters to you.

If neither of these applies, go to www.cablesforless.com and save your money. I'm running their component cables for HDTV and DVD 480i for my X1 at 96" and they are 100% perfect.

Like Bob likes to remind us, component video is 1940s technology. Copper cable and shielding are extremely simple to implement and do not require anything special. All you need to do is transport an electrical signal. The www.cablesforless.com cables will be adequate, save your money for stuff that really can make a difference.