What's new

Any real difference between new "S" and "V" Wegas? (1 Viewer)

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I'm getting close to making a purchase, and other than better speakers I can't seem to find much difference between Sony's "S" and "V" series TV's. The new "S" models do 16:9 vertical squeeze now. Anyone have any other observations? It doesn't seem worth it to spend the extra $100s for a "V" model.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Check to see if the digital comb filter is the same. When I was looking at TVs about 6 months ago, the V series had a better digital comb filter than the S series.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
OK, the "S" has a 3-line digital comb filter vs. a 3D digital comb filter on the "V". The other difference is that the "S" has Advanced velocity modulation scanning settings of "off/med/high" whereas the "V" claims to be automatic in this regard. I have to admit, that I'm not sure it's worth the extra expense. Does S-video bypass the comb filter, or am I mistaken?

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
There was a thread a few months ago which stated that S-Video and Component inputs bypass the comb filter. The "V" series also does the enhanced 16x9 feature automatically and with the "S" series you have to go to the menu and select it each time you watch an anamorphic movie. (If you have a remote with a macro button, you can record the steps to set the 16x9 feature so it's only one extra button to press). I chose the "S" series, saved some $$$ and I'm very pleased with the set. Also the "V" series has the speakers on the sides as you know, so fitting a 36" model into my wall unit was logistically impossible.
------------------
JB
"This is Chuck reminding Bill to shut up!"

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
The speakers are kind of pointless with an HT setup anyway. Thanks, I'll probably save some cash with an "S."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks