Any problems with MGM's "Midnite Movies" Double Features?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MielR, Oct 4, 2006.

1. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I was thinking about buying "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" and it's sequel on DVD, and I saw on Amazon that they're now being sold together on one dual-sided disc, instead of being sold separately.

They seem to be doing this with most of the movies in their "midnite movies" line (like, 'The fall of the House of Usher', 'Theater of Blood', etc.), and I'm wondering if anyone has bought them, and if anyone has had any problems with them? Is the quality the same as when they were sold as individual discs?

2. Richard_Gregory

Richard_Gregory Second Unit

Yes, the quality is just fine. The single Midnite Movies are deleted anyway, though you can still find them. They were nearly all paired with a film new to the Midnites to become part of the Double Feature range (a few weren't, for example Killer Klowns or Man With X-Ray Eyes; I suspect these were slated for re-release, paired with something else, until Sony took over MGM and pretty much killed off new releases).

The Midnite Doubles represent excellent value, the transfers are very good. I have many of the Midnite Doubles (all of the Corman Poe films for one) though a few weren't to my taste (like the biker movies).

You won't regret buying these discs.

3. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

The main problem with MGM's Midnite Movies is.... that we didn't get any this Halloween!

4. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    Thanks for the input! [​IMG] I was quite pleased to see that these 'double features' are about the same price that they were for the individual movies.

I was just a little concerned about the fact that they're dual-sided, since so many people have had problems with dual sided/dual layer discs (like the Bela Lugosi set, etc.) I think the only dual-sided disc I own is the Superman Special Edition, but I haven't had any problems with it.

5. Richard_Gregory

Don't worry. The discs people have been having trouble with (like the one the Bela Lugosi Collection comes on) is not only dual sided, it has two layers on each side as well, so each disc has four layers in all.

The Midnite Doubles come on dual sided discs, but they only have one layer each side.

I've never seen any complaints from anyone who has had problems with playback on them. I have loads myself, and they are all fine.

You do have to take a little extra care when handling them, as with all dual-sided discs, since there are play surfaces on both sides ready to get fingerprints and scratches, but aside from this, they are just fine.

6. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    MielR

You must be new to DVD [​IMG]

Dual sided (also known as Flippers) have been around as long as DVDs themselves and in fact, were more common early on. Then people started to complain about them especially when a single movie was divided across the two sides before technology made it possible to put them on one side.

I also have not had any problems with the MGM Midnite Movies. I believe the newer Sony versions are on two discs rather than flippers.

Speaking of, anything new from Sony for this series?

Eric

7. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I started buying DVDs around 1999 or 2000 (when I got my first computer with a DVD drive), but so far I only own two DVDs that are dual sided (Bladerunner and Superman). I think they're both dual-layered as well.

So, the 'midnite movies double features' are now on 2 discs sold together?

EDIT: I checked the back of my "Superman-The Movie" dual-sided disc, and it is indeed dual-sided, dual-layered. As a matter of fact, it actually says "DVD-18" on the back cover, which is the first time I've noticed that on a DVD case.

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I don't know about Superman, but the original Blade Runner disc is definitely not a DVD-18 (dual sided-dual layer). DVD-18s are not very common and are usually either extremely long movies with lots of extras (Ben-Hur) or TV series with tons of episodes on each disc (The Outer Limits). I personally have never had a problem with any of them.

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I've not had any problems with MGM's DVD-14 or 18's....Universal on the other hand needs to find a better plant/company to make their DVD's because the one in Mexico they use is rife with bad discs.

10. Richard_Gregory

This is true. Universal use this sort of disc far more than any other studio, and unfortuately, appear to source all of their discs from the Deluxe factory in Mexico.

DVD-18's are relatively uncommon from other studios, and in any case, even when they do use them, they source them from a maker in Taiwan that seems to have far less err "quality control issues".

It is to be noted, however, that some of the latest offerings from Universal (like their Ultimate Classic Sci-Fi set) came on the more usual single-sided disc. They may have finally got the message! It is vertainly a good sign. I suspect last year those five films would've been crammed onto a DVD-18, like the Lugosi Collection.

And yes, the first Superman movie did come on a DVD-18, one of the very few times that Warner have used one. It's one of the very few I own...