What's new

Any problems with 75'-100' speaker runs? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hi group,

I am getting ready to wire my theater room with surrounds. The room is a single "bonus" room upstairs that has a huge crawl space where I can walk around it on the trusses. From where the receiver will be, I'll have to go across 3 walls to get from the receiver to the 2 rear speakers. I am guessing that the runs will be at least 75'.

Any specific considerations I need to be aware of? What guage speaker wire should I look for? Will I need to decrease the ammount of delay from the surrounds to compensate for the long wire runs? Anything else?

Thanks!
Aaron

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
in order to meet code, you'll need a wire rated for in-wall use, CL-2/3 which can be found in a number of places. I'd go 12 gauge. The length will have no effect on your delay concerns...i.e. 180 miles of wire would only result in 1/1000 second delay.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
That is a long run, but ... you dont have much choice.

For a HT system, good 12 ga should be fine.

But I would STRONGLY suggest you run 3 runs to the rear as a rear-center speaker is becoming popular (Dolby EX).

You might also consider running some 12 ga to each side of the room for 7.1 side speakers.

Be very careful to label your wires every foot for the first several feet on each end. Radio Shack sells some nice labels that have a writeable surface and long tape that wraps around to protect the text.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Believe me, if the couch wasn't set up against the rear wall, I'd LOVE to just get a 6.1 system now.
I just can't imagine that a rear speaker situation directly above you would add anything, and might even mess up the surround effect, right?
Aaron
Edit: Here's a pic of the room, incase anyone has any suggestions. I'm still out on the limb for the surrounds. I's probably leaning towards direct radiating speakers, but if dipoles make more sense, I could get those, too. And if you see a way a rear speaker could work without moving the back couch, I'd like to hear suggestions there, too.

The blue circle is the AV equipment, and the rec dots are the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks