Any problems doing this?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Pete H, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Pete H

Pete H Stunt Coordinator

Mar 5, 2000
    To this point I have used my Pioneer Elite DV-47A for dvd's only. I use the optical digital out to the av receiver.

Could I run into any problems connecting the coaxial digital output to my CDP and single ended analog outputs to my preamp all at the same time?

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Jul 2, 2001
    CD Player? You can't connect one CD or DVD player to another... none of them have any inputs

You CAN connect both the analog and digital outputs of a particular CD or DVD player to your receiver or pre-pro. You'll want to tell your receiver or pre-pro which input to use -otherwise it will pick one by default.

Likewise, you CAN connect the digital output of a DVD player to, say, an AV receiver and the analog outputs to a different receiver or stereo preamp.

Heck, you could even send the optical output to one receiver, the digital coax to another receiver, and the analog outputs to a third...
  3. Ron Duca

Ron Duca Stunt Coordinator

Dec 29, 1999

I believe you answered a similar question of mine, but I want to ask it in a slightly different way.

I have a Toshiba SD-2815 DVD player connected as follows:

DVD Optical out to Receiver
    DVD S-Video out to TV

Occasionally, I'd like to watch some home movie type DVD's without having to play them through the Home Theater, just through the TV speakers. Leaving the above connections in place, can I also connect:

DVD Analog Audio out to TV input 1 or 2?

If I do this, will I need to also connect the DVD Video out, from the same output as the Analog Audio out, to the same TV iput? I'm not sure if the S-Video connection on the TV is tied to a particular input or if the TV will use it for all inputs.

Thanks for any advice.
  4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999

All you need to do is send the DVD player’s analog audio outputs and composite video to a second input on the TV and you’ll be in business.

I have a similar set up in my system, with the DVD player’s S-video and digital output going to the home theater system, while the composite and analog audio feeds to a second TV in a bedroom. Works fine. [​IMG]

Wayne A. Pflughaupt