What's new

Any problems doing this? (1 Viewer)

Pete H

Stunt Coordinator
To this point I have used my Pioneer Elite DV-47A for dvd's only. I use the optical digital out to the av receiver.

Could I run into any problems connecting the coaxial digital output to my CDP and single ended analog outputs to my preamp all at the same time?

Thanks

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
CDP?

CD Player? You can't connect one CD or DVD player to another... none of them have any inputs

You CAN connect both the analog and digital outputs of a particular CD or DVD player to your receiver or pre-pro. You'll want to tell your receiver or pre-pro which input to use -otherwise it will pick one by default.

Likewise, you CAN connect the digital output of a DVD player to, say, an AV receiver and the analog outputs to a different receiver or stereo preamp.

Heck, you could even send the optical output to one receiver, the digital coax to another receiver, and the analog outputs to a third...

Ron Duca

Stunt Coordinator
Dave (or anyone else),

I believe you answered a similar question of mine, but I want to ask it in a slightly different way.

I have a Toshiba SD-2815 DVD player connected as follows:

DVD Optical out to Receiver
DVD S-Video out to TV

Occasionally, I'd like to watch some home movie type DVD's without having to play them through the Home Theater, just through the TV speakers. Leaving the above connections in place, can I also connect:

DVD Analog Audio out to TV input 1 or 2?

If I do this, will I need to also connect the DVD Video out, from the same output as the Analog Audio out, to the same TV iput? I'm not sure if the S-Video connection on the TV is tied to a particular input or if the TV will use it for all inputs.

Thanks for any advice.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ron,

All you need to do is send the DVD player’s analog audio outputs and composite video to a second input on the TV and you’ll be in business.

I have a similar set up in my system, with the DVD player’s S-video and digital output going to the home theater system, while the composite and analog audio feeds to a second TV in a bedroom. Works fine. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks