any problem using DVD to play CDs?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BobCleary, Sep 23, 2003.

1. BobCleary

BobCleary Auditioning

Is there anything inherent in a DVD player that makes it worse at playing CDs than a dedicated CD player? A salesman once told me that DVD players spin at a different rate than CD players, thus CD players reproduce audio more accurately. Any truth to that?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

As I see it the only disadvantage of playing CD's regularly in your DVD player is wearing out the finite lifetime of the player.

The DVD player must gear down or gear up its spin to match that required for the CD otherwise it won't play at all.

For CD's, the needed RPM is not the same for the end of the program (outer part) compared with the beginning (near the center).

The audio circuits in your DVD player may or may not be better than in your CD player.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. david stark

david stark Second Unit

I think there are a lot of differneces between playing a cd and dvd. there are already several threads that include posts on this subject. One I managed to find again contained a quote from someone at arcam at the differences.

go and have a look at this thread

and in particular the 3rd post by DanaA that contains a quote from someone at Arcam.

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

now, if Arcam would come out with a universal player...