Any problem connecting my sub to standard household extension cord?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Pine, Mar 11, 2004.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I have a Velodyne CHT-12. It’s rated at a modest 170W RMS power, with a max of 400W. The attached power cord is about two feet short of the wall outlet. The extension cord I’m using is rated up to a Max of 1675W. I don’t have anything else plugged into the extension or the wall outlet. Should I have any performance concerns?

2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

How about a power strip? Then you'd know you're protecting the sub against power surges too.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    John,

As long as your extension cord is at least 16ga. you’ll be alright. The one you have sounds like it’s more than adequate.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Chris: I've got the extension cord running strait down the wall, under the carpet and then hidden under the molding laying next to the carpet tack. The sub is backed into a corner about three feet away from the outlet. But, if I thought I was taking a performance hit I would bite the bullet and use a surge protector and just lay it on top of the carpet in plain site. Of course performance would take precedence, but it just looks a little neater the way I have it now.

Wayne: I'll have to check and see what gauge the ext. cord is. The cord is a new standard three prong one from Home Depot.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Sounds like your all set and ok....