What's new

Any predictions- Line Doubler?? (1 Viewer)

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
My new Pioneer Elite 520 HD RPTV arrives this morning and reading a few posts around here has me wondering which input on my TV will do better since my Pioneer Elite DVD player is a bit older?(I am wondering since this TV is supposed to have one of the best line doublers on the market and my DVD is last generation)

-Pioneer Elite DV37 (progressive scan)--->compnent video-->RPTV

OR

-Pioneer Elite DV37---->SVideo---->RPTV

I plan to test both, but which one should come out ahead in theory?

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
If you were running S-Video cable in both setups, the theory would say that the progressive-scan input would have a higher video-fidelity (less A/D and D/A conversions than with a line doubler at the TV's side). Since you are running different cables in the setups, the cables might become the bottleneck in signal quality.
I would think that the S-Video link would be the better choice over the composite link, nevermind the progressive vs. line-doubler argument. Then again, the actual results will depend on the quality of the circuitry implementation more than the 'theory'.
A scientific experiment it ain't, but it's fun to tinker with these things :)
-JNS

TimG

Second Unit
I think he (Joey) meant component in regards to the progressive scan from the player. You can't send a progressive signal over a composite connection.

TimG

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Joey,
A better test would be to send the progressive and non-progressive scan signals via component cable. I'm pretty sure your DV37 has a switch on the back to enable progressive scan through component outputs. Then you'll get an aplles to apples comparison. The chroma bug in your DVD player is pretty evident so I'm betting on the TV (plus I've setup and seen the difference myself so I already know the answer). ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks