What's new

Any PQ comparisons between The Magnificent Seven CE & older SE? (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I had my reservations since there was not much faith in expecting an improvment over the previous release - so taking The Great Escape and The Good, Bad, And The Ugly as examples to compare The Magnificent Seven is easily the best in terms of a worthy upgrade. It was money well spent. All I can say is that it had a nice, detailed film like quality that surprised me - not perfect but very enjoyable to watch - even the background scenes looked good, usually they tend to look very soft. For those of us with a good front projection setup if you can make that statement than it really deserves high marks. With all of the comments made lately about new versions of classic films falling short (eg Ben Hur) I think Sony did a pretty good job on this one - of course some may nitpick but basically I could not find much to be critical of.

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone can help, I have a couple of questions about the latest release of Magnificent Seven:

1) Does this new release have the original sound mix (and what would that mix have been? Mono?)

2) Are the subtitles for foreign language dialogue burnt-in or player generated?

3) Are there any plans to release the sequels in Special Editions too?

Thanks all.
:)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i'm glad your happy with the new one, but you're above comment would sum up my feelings about the original edition as well.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
FWIW - Watched the new 2-discer the other day and from my perspective there is a very noticeable improvement picture-wise over the original release.

IMO - For any fans of this film sitting on the fence this should be a no-brainer upgrade.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say they look exactly the same, however I agree they are close. Too close, in fact, to warrant me re-purchasing this movie on standard definition DVD.

While I realize that it is hard to see the increased artifacting in the old special edition on DVD Beaver, to my eye I think the original DVD sports better overall PQ due to its sharpness and lack of cropping.

This is probably an upgrade for the extra hounds and those with projector systems.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Or for some of us that have actually watched the new dvd.:) I don't have a projector system and I can see an improvement.

Crawdaddy

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

I didn't say there wasn't an improvement, I said that I didn't see enough of an improvemet from DVD Beaver's comparison to warrant a upgrade for me.

Afterall, how can I know definitively than it is worth an upgrade for me without purchasing the disc is one way or another (renting or buying)? That kinda defeats the purpose of trying to make that decision beforehand, doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks