Any PQ comparisons between The Magnificent Seven CE & older SE?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ScottJH, Jan 11, 2006.

1. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Hello,

Was wondering if anyone here has compared the new 2 disc CE with the older SE or knows of a review site that has. Mainly interested in picture quality. Thanks.

2. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Anyone?

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i love Glenns reviews, but i take his technical appraisals with a rock of salt.

DVDBeaver has a review of the new one with screencaps, and while he doesn't have a comparision to the earlier version, he doubts it looked any worse than the current one.

after reading Savants review i popped the old one to look at it and see if i could get enthused about a pre HD double dip.
    i couldn't. the original disc looked absolutely fine to me, especially given its age.

but then i don't need the new features so its easy for me to pass on.

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

The original disc definitely didn't look fine to me on my large screen setup.

The colors were muted and washed out and the image was saturated with artifacts. I'll be picking up the new SE for the extras alone but this was certainly a film that couldve benefited from an updated transfer and Im hoping this new one does it some justice. If even a minor improvement.

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'll be looking forward to your thoughts Marco.

FWIW i was watching mine on an XGA DLP on a 70" wide screen.
    its possible a native 720p system on a larger screen might reveal the problems though, i supose.

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

That's fine, but I'd take with even more salt, an evaluation of how much improvement there is in the new disc from a reviewer who hasn't seen one of them. He doesn't find the new one to be very impressive, which is a valid opinion, but to conclude from that anything about the original is without merit.

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

that's true too George.

there is another review of the set over at DVDJournal

9. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

ARG! Another re-buy?!

I have the original disc... But I can't recall at this second whether it is anamorphic. Is it? If not, this'll have to be a re-buy, I guess.

Also, the commentary with Chris Frayling is new to this edition, correct? And the added extras...?

ARG! TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, THE WILD BUNCH, THE PINK PANTHER, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN... Now this! I hope 2006 does not turn out to be the year in which I have to rebuy a bunch of stuff.

MC

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I really didn't want to enter this discussion about whether this dvd's PQ is better than the previous release because it's such a tired exercise going back and forth between the two dvds and comparing specific scenes. Anyhow, after about 45 minutes of playing around with these two releases, to my tired old eyes, the latest dvd is an improvement and it appears to me that some additional work was completed to improve the dvd presentation. After 45 minutes of comparisons, I decided to cut that task short and watch the newest dvd from beginning to end which made for a more enjoyable viewing experience.[​IMG]

Also, unlike the previous release, this dvd does have english subtitles which out of habit, I use whenever, I'm watching a dvd. There are three new featurettes on this latest dvd as well as an additional commentary track. Everything except the trailers that was on the previous release is on this latest dvd. I did watch all of the featurettes including the fourth one carried over from the previous dvd and IMO, they were pretty good.

Should you buy this latest dvd? If you're a big fan of this film then without question, I would buy it.

Crawdaddy

11. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

May I ask why? (No offense meant, maybe you are not a native speaker, I do not know. I have a DVD player that has a bug and defaults to subtitles unless I specifically tell it not to, which is quite annoying. So, I'm wondering why you'd watch a DVD with the subtitles; what is the "habit"?)

MC

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Robert:

I'd be curious, too.

I've started watching British films with English subtitles whenever possible. I find it helps me understand dialogue by clarifying the minor differences in verbiage and accents.

Yet when I watch an American film with subtitles (like when I turn them on to catch a particular word or phrase I cannot understand), I find them distracting if I leave them on as I always catch myself reading along rather than enjoying picture composition, etc.

13. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

I do this as well and it always annoys me when DVDs do not have sub-titles. I find that with many films there is so much throw away dialogue as well as mumbled speech, that reading sub-titles as well as listening gives a better understanding of the film.

14. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Are the Pink Panther reissues not the same transfers sourced from the "Film Collection" released last year?

Sorry to take this O-T...

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    not hard of hearing but often put the subs on too.
    especially on anything british or anything that has an accent that is hard for me to understand.

if the Mag 7 picture is better on this i might pick it up.
    havent watched the old one in awhile and now i have the bigger screen so better picture = good.

16. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

As to whether this is a new transfer or a re-hash, you can always check the dates of the VOB files...

17. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Aside Part II:
    Marco, I believe that the new single-disc issues of the PINK PANTHER films are the same anamorphic prints used in that collection from last year. I own the older version, non-anamorphic, and I have been waiting for a single-disc release of the anamorphic version... And so I have to rebuy it. [​IMG]

Grumble, grumble.

MC

18. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

My player has an instant replay feature that rewinds the film by fifteen seconds and temporarily enables subtitles. This is such an amazingly useful feature that I don't understand why it's not standard.

19. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

That is really cool! Who makes it?

I got in the habit of watching captions/ subtitles because my wife isn't a native English speaker, but I've gotten used to it. Also, as a writer, I like to think of the dialogue as a written script while I'm watching, and subtitles help me visualize that.

The downside is that the captions have burned 3 little rows of squares into the screen on my 55" RPTV. [​IMG]

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That WOULD be amazingly cool! I've never seen/heard of that feature on a player, either.