Any possiblity of an SE of "The Insider"?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Simon, Dec 7, 2002.

1. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

Has anyone heard anything about a possible SE of The Insider? The film got a surprisingly barebones release considering the critical and popular success that it garnered while in theaters. I think it was IGN that posted a wishful list of features for an SE about a year ago, and I've been hoping one would actually be announced, but I've still heard nothing. Am I the only one who wants to see a re-release?
    EDIT: I found the wishlist on IGN. And once again I really wish I knew of an SE in planning...
    February 1, 2001
    The GOOD EDITION
    • Anamorphic Widescreen edition
    • DTS 5.1 Surround Sound
    • Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
    • THX Certified
    • Subtitles in Spanish, Italian, and French
    • Deleted scenes with commentary by Michael Mann
    • Documentary on "Whistle Blowers" in history
    • Text commentary with facts about the smoking industry
    • The script
    • Commentary track with Michael Mann (alone)
    • Commentary track with Mann, Pacino, and Crowe
    • Commentary track with Jeffrey Wigand explaining differences from the real events

I personally would also like to see a documentary on the real events. I knew nothing about this entire story until the film was released, and I now find it really fascinating.

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I doubt it. From what I remember reading, Michael Mann hates DVD special features.

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I fmichael man had his way, we would put in the DVD, and it the movie would start playing. No options, no features, no menues, no chapter stops.

4. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Yeah, Michael Mann hates the supplementary material aspect of DVD. This is fairly obvious because the DVDs of Ali, Heat, and The Last of the Mohicans are all barebones. I think he might have recorded a commentary track on one laserdisc though.

In my opinion The Insider was one of the best films of 1999 and its a shame we will never see a special edition.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

Thief. Also on the DVD.

6. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

I thought I'd heard the same things about Mann, but some of his movies seem to be getting the SE treatment lately. Isn't there an SE of Last of the Mohicans coming out? And obviously Manhunter was released as an SE not long ago. Oh well. Wishful thinking, I guess.

7. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I remember hearing that a special edition of Ali was set to be released by Columbia/Tristar about the same time as their special edition of Black Hawk Down......

I also love the Insider, but have picked it up countless times only to wishfully think an SE will be coming out soon. The same goes for Heat, I don't know how many times I've tried to make myself buy that but didn't.....is the transfer on it worthwhile? I may just go ahead and get it.

8. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

9. Bill J

Bill J Producer

10. Declan

Declan Second Unit

I like some of Mann's films. Heat is probably my favourite of his. Last of the Mohicans I found the Stowe and Lewis releationship to be severly lacking, even the "I will find you" scene did'nt work at all for me. Ali I enjoyed but could'nt really watch it again (got a loan of it and it sat in the house for a month gathering dust). Insider is very good..nearly as good as heat. Manhunter I thought was Faaaaaar to pretensious and the only thing that saved it for me was Tom Noonan and Joan Allen. Personally i thought red Dragon was far more entertaining. Personally i find Mann to be too vain a person and not thankfull enough to the people who love his movies to let them have any kind of SpEd version of any of his movies (Theif being the sole exception). He should realise that DVD is a digital time capsule for films that help keep the record of how a certain movie was put together. Look at the transfer for the Insider even as a testement on how Mann lets his work go out. The 2.35:1 frame is way to high up on the screen. I remember that the LD of Heat suffered the same effect. The fact that these 2 films came from different studios seems to me less of a coincidence.

11. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

12. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

13. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    I think at the minimum this disc should have been released with both aired versions of the 60min. segment depicted in the film, but there may have been rights issues involved.

Quite excellent film nonetheless and the DVD has had a number of turns as my wife and I find the performances quite engrossing and the subject matter very compelling.

14. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

I just finished watching "The Insider" for the first time and boy was I upset at the unusually high matting of the picture and the lack of extras.
    Then I go on to read here that the possibility of an SE of the DVD are "less then great."
    Straight up, Touchstone is losing DVD sales by not upgrading this DVD because fan's of this great movie aren't going to shell out cash for a half-assed version of a movie that has great potential for an SE!
    If Michael Mann has a problem with extras, he needs to take a good look in the mirror, because he needs to realize we pay good money to see his films and if we didn't, he wouldn't have the status of the accomplished director that he is today! I own one Michael Mann movie and that's Heat and I got that at a serious discount or otherwise I wasn't going to pick it up unless it got an SE treatment.
    Thank you for reading my rant. [​IMG]

15. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

i find it funny but isn't there a s.e. coming for heat and a even a director's cut of ali?
    my ali uk dvd has the following extras:
    dts audio
    trailer
    behind the scenes - 12min
    making of ali - 30min
    cast & crew soundbites - 34:45min
    i don't think mr. mann really dislike special features but maybe it was more that at the time heat or the insider where released special features where not that popular for the studios. as you can see some of his film getting a 2 disc treatment now [​IMG]

16. David Levy

David Levy Stunt Coordinator

This movie would be perfect for Criterion, as far as I am concerned. And the studio realtionship is there...

17. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    With the upcoming Heat SE and the Manhunter DC (with commentary), could Mann be softening up to extras?

18. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

According to the rumor page at DavisDVD, there is a DC of Ali coming this June. So far it's anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 Extras are unknown. I'll gladly double-dip on this one since I got the first one for free in a Blockbuster Buy 2, Get 1 Free promo.
    DavisDVD Rumor Page

19. troy

troy Auditioning

I'm also hoping for an SE of "The Insider". Great movie.

20. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'd pick up an SE as well. It seems like most of Mann's films get director cuts, so maybe this well happen on "The Insider".