What's new

Any possible way to convert a plate amp to a nice rack/shelf mount amp? (1 Viewer)

JerryLang

Agent
HSU sells a 250W amp for $350.00 . Amp looks like the plate amp in most subs, and is of good quality.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Joe Hsu,

The amp we are speaking of in this thread is a mono subwoofer plate amp designed for subwoofers only. You know the amps mounted inside the sub enclosures? Just like those. These aren't designed to drive regular midrange speakers. I originated this tread long ago and it has been revived somehow. I was just curious as to why amp mfr's don't use/have a rack mount design with the same features as a plate amp (x-over, phase control, level control, subsonic filter, etc...). The only one i know of is NHT but they cost about $700 for the same power/features as the 250W $135 plate amp at PE. Give me a break!

All I wanted was a dedicated 2-ch sub amp in a rack mount form with the same features as a plate amp without spending an arm and a leg.

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
Ok here is Brian's plate amp setup...
psa1.jpg

Good idea BTW Brian

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
If you mount the plate amp vertically, most are designed so that the fins will still essentially be verticall also, i.e. they go from top to bottom.

This still works well as convection still occurs to "wick" the heat away.

The wrong thing to do would be to mount the plate amp vertically such that the fins go from side to side as this would hinder the convection.

This is why the fins on most PC heatsinks are a grid pattern, they can be mounted vertically or horizontally with no negative effects.

Robin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks