Any possible way to convert a plate amp to a nice rack/shelf mount amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Feb 25, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I'm not talking about building a box for it but rather taking all the electronics and mounting them in a rack/shelf mount chassis? I mean, how hard would it be for these manufaturers to build a seperate shelf amp with all the features of a plate amp? The only one I know of that is even close is the NHT SA series amps, but they are $300 for 120W, or $700 for 300W wich is out of my range.

Anyone know of any others? Would this idea be possible?

Anyone know where I can find an empty amp case for this type of application?

2. Todd G

Todd G Auditioning

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Thanks Todd,

Those look perfect for my application if I decide to do this.

4. JerryD

JerryD Extra

The pre-amp board of a plate amp would not be hard to move to a chassis. The problem is the power stage. In a plate amp, it is normally attached to the huge heatsink which is the finned part of the plate amp that is exposed after it is mounted. The power transistors need to be attached to a heat sink with similar ability to get rid of heat to that of the factory one. To work well, the fins of a heatsink need to be vertical. This means the chassis you are moving to has to have quite a bit of height to accomodate the heat sink. If you don't have an adequate heatsink, the power transistors will have a hot, short life. Most amps that are not tall have fans to force air over the heatsinks or else they are a more efficient class of amplifier than most plate amps.
    Rack mount amps can be found for under a $ a Watt, but most of them are over 300 Watts. For example SVS has one with 700 total Watts for $389. http://www.svsubwoofers.com/amps.htm

5. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

while on this topic, anyone have any ideas or pics for making an enclosure for a plate amp?

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I currently have the Crown CE-1000 and since it has a high voltage input level, its very difficult to drive. The fan also gets to me during quiet scenes in movies. So now I'm thinking about the idea of taking all the features of a plate amp and putting them in a different chassis.

Armen brought up a good point. I guess if I could build a nice looking enclosure for the plate amps it wouldn't be so bad or if I could hide them away somewhere. But that's the problem, I don't have anywhere to hide them or even put them for that matter.

So the horizontal heatsink can't hold up??? What if I use a quiet fan to help cool?

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

I have both of my PSA1 plate amps mounted in a single MDF enclosure with the amps mounted down (heatsinks pointing up). I have them on the bottom shelf of my Salamander rack with a good 3-4 inches above the heatsinks and I have no problems at all.

Brian

8. Josh O

Josh O Agent

Brian,

Do you have any pictures of your solution that you can post?

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Josh,

I'll see if I can take a couple of quick pics and get them up on the net.

Brian

10. Josh O

Josh O Agent

Hey Brian... did you ever get a chance to take pictures of your plate amp enclosures? [​IMG]

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Josh,

I just took a picture but I don't normally upload pictures to my website myself. The person that designed the site usually uploads them for me. If you want, I can email you or if someone is willing to upload it to their site I'll email it to them.

Brian

12. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

heya brian,
    go over to lycos.com. 25megs for photos...easy, fast and free. easy to link to also. or you can email em to me and i will nail em up for everyone, no prob. [​IMG]

13. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I bought one of the parts express 300-794, 250 watt plate amps on an impulse at the sale price of $99.00.The regular price of these amps is $135.90 . I have it mounted in a wood enclosure painted black with binding posts . I don't really need it and would sell for the $99.00 price plus $11.00 shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states. I just received it today so it is brand new . I tested it with my SVS 25-31 CS sub and it works fine. Anyone interested can contact me at [email protected] I will ship with or without the enclosure and include all original papers and accessories. I prefer paypal. You can check my ebay feedback my ID is cdsherman.

14. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Why does having horizontal fins not work as well? I thought the idea of fins was simply to increase the surface area of the heat sink. Allowing it to transfer heat to the surounding air faster? I am at a lose as to my the horizontal fins won't work as well, although I admit that I think all of the fins I have seen have been vertical.

15. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

The heatsink is designed to work with convection. As the heatsink transfers its heat to the air around it, that air gets hotter and lighter than the rest of the air. So it rises and cooler air is drawn up from below. This works very well when the fins are mounted vertically so that air can rise up from below. If the fins are horizontal then the air flow from below is blocked and the convection cooling is not as effective.

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I haven't had any trouble with my amps mounted horizontally, but I can see where it could be an issue. I think also having plenty of "air" around them has helped things.

I will email the picture to Ron this evening since he offered to put it up on his site. It's saved on my PC at home so I can't do it until then.

Brian

17. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I have been thinking about much the same issue. I want to buy an Apex juniot sub and use it in my stereo system for a subwoofer and as a high pass crossover for my mains (they can only handle bass down to 60hz). I was thinking about making an mdf box to enclose the amp and to mount it on my rack horizontally. I think that one of th eoptions one might take to cool the amp is to somehow install a computer fan, or something like it, that automatically trips when the inside temperature reaches a certain level. This fan could then be integrated into the enclosure, therefore working with the heatsink to dissipate heat. One thing about conviction, is that with a horizontal array there is a transfer of air around the heatsinks, because as the air gets hotter and less dense, the cooler, denser air around is sucked in to equalize the pressure. Therefore, the fins that are accessible to the most cold air will stay cool. When horizontal, the fins on the inside will become proportionately hotter because they have less access to cool air.

18. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

i've seen people run the PE plate amps laying down horizontally with no problems. remember that the guys who made this thing probably designed it with some reserve cooling capacity, especially so that it can handle warmer rooms, etc. not to mention the fact that the 350W version uses the same heatsink i believe.

i highly doubt this will be an issue unless your room is quite warm and you run your amp to its limits continuously for long periods of time.

19. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

This sounds really interesting...I don't know too much about amps, as I've never had the money to fool around with them, but I want to upgrade my speakers and my receiver this summer, and adding an amp would be really nice. Would this rack-mounted/free-standing amp be like the normal amps that are spoken of traditionally with speakers/receivers? Just a piece of hardware to deliver more juice, and the normal things?
    Please help this clueless one out, since if it is indeed what a normal amp does, I might go buy Chris Sherman's PE plate amp. [​IMG]

20. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I built an MDF box for my HS500 and will post a few pics as soon as the guys at work find the battery charger for the digital camera.

Since the HS500 is a 2-piece unit I built a box roughly 9 1/2" deep x 9" wide x 16" high. Put some rubber feet on the bottom and black handles on the sides. Sits on the floor next to the sub. Cost was about $2 for the handles otherwise just MDF scrap and stuff in the garage. Hopefully pics soon....Mike