Any possibility of ever seeing Survivor boxsets?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Simon, May 2, 2003.

1. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

With all the recent talk by fans and critics saying that the current season of Survivor is even better than the first, it got me trying to remember that first season, and wondering if we'd ever see it again. Does anyone know if this is in the works? Or if not, why? Although I have some question about the rewatchability of the seasons, I think I'd be fairly tempted to purchase some of the better ones if the price wasn't too ridiculous. I even think they could come up with some fairly interesting extras if perhaps they got commentaries by some of the "castaways" or perhaps a commentary by Jeff Probst and Mark Burnett. I think it'd also be cool to see a featurette on the creation of the challenges. So does anyone else think this would make a worthy show to release in entire seasons? And will that ever actually happen?

2. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

It sounds like a cool idea, I doubt it will happen. Even the Survivor: Great & Outrageous Moments DVDs dried up after the second season, probably due to lack of popularity. If those didn't fly, it seems unlikely that anything else will come to fruition.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Paramount responded in a thread awhile back. The "best-of" discs sold poorly, so no, they're not happening. It seems the general industry attitude is that reality TV is disposible for most people. Watch once and who cares

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Personally, I hope that this realization makes an impact on the programming of the Prime Time landscape.

You see, scripted shows are getting squeezed out more and more by reality shows because they get good ratings, and are cheaper to produce.

But, in the long run, the Survivor home video sales may be a factor that makes the studios realize that their thinking is shortsighted.

After all, you can get good ratings ONCE, whether its on a show like Survivor or a show like Frasier.

But Frasier sells on home video a whole lot better, and longer, than any reality show. And it works better for syndication, too! :wink:

I don't mind a good reality show...but c'mon; there's too many of them and they all are far too alike. Gimme' A Break! [​IMG]

5. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...not if theres a GOD in Heaven.....[​IMG]

6. Brad Hood

Brad Hood Agent

No possiblilty of ME ever seeing them, unless you tie me up in front of the tv and glue my eyelids open.[​IMG]

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

8. David Lambert

9. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Those "best of" discs could have been a LOT better. How many people do you think missed the interviews with the castmember voted off on The Early Show? I know I did...and it would have made me think about buying the DVD if they were on there. Sometimes "best of" discs make sense, but there has to be some NEW content, or stuff that most people haven't seen before.

I'm so sick of "best of" discs that are under 60 mins, are 75% recut material we've seen, and carry a SRP of $24.95. Gimme a break.

Gord

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

11. David Lambert

12. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

13. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter