any portishead fans?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I heard wandering star on sirius (satellite rocks [​IMG] ) the other day, and really liked it, so I'm wondering what I should check out.
    How's the latest album? worth picking up?

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

Yeah i'm a portishead fanatic!!!! i just picked up their NYC Roseland CD omg! it's so good....it's a live recording of previous songs but it sounds so much better....i have most of their cds and i would say that ever single cd is worth it!

3. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Definitely pick up their Live in Roseland CD. Dummy, their first album is also terrific. The also have a DVD concert version of their Roseland performance which is somewhat different from the CD version. Get both of course!

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

What's the connection between Portishead and bands like Morcheeba & Massive Attack? I've just 'discovered' these bands and keep seeing them mentioned in the same breath.

They're sounds are similar (I guess) but not so much to explain the amount they are mentioned together.

5. Khoa Tran

they play and mix their songs together a lot, they are the same genre but tottally different bands....they just like to make music together that's all and most of the tracks and b-sides they make are really good....i have a couple massive attack cds and vinyls....extremely good music...i would recommends Lamb, Air, Archive, Red Snapper, and Hooverphonic if you like the kind of stuff portishead and massive puts out.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I wish I could sample some more of their stuff before buying, I can't find much at all in the way of Mp3's, so I guess I'll have to take the gamble tomorrow.

7. Khoa Tran

try amazon, you can sample their music...if they have it...try Protection from Massive Attack and Dummy from Portishead...

8. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

Rumor has it Portishead will deliver their long awaited New LP sometime late spring. This year. Really.

I get very excited when I hear about people "discovering" Portishead. I've gobbled up every single, uh single, Remix, live bit of recorded music, & i'm _dying_ to hear new stuff. I think everyone should buy their albums, tattoo a giant "P" across their back, and sit in a dark room and drip candle wax across their belly as "Western Eyes" echos on the stereo.

um. anyway...:b

As Far as Morcheeba, they're great, provided you stick to their first two records. They recorded two good songs for their third album and then apparently decided they wanted to be a dance pop act. WTF? I felt a little burned with that one and have yet to pick up "Charango" (their fourth record.)

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

10. Khoa Tran

If you want a good complimation CD, get the A Female Trip Hop Experienc cd, i think it could be found at amazon.com

Try Lamb, Goldfrapp, Esthero, Unkle, and new band Zero 7

11. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Esthero is a must have.

As far as Portishead goes... I remember seeing the video for Sour Times on 120 Minutes on MTV way back in like '94 or '95. My how MTV has changed since then. [​IMG]