Any Portable DVD Players with Good Built-In Screens?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Lou R., Jan 6, 2006.

1. Lou R.

Lou R. Auditioning

I'm looking for a portable DVD player with a very good quality (9-inch or bigger) screen.

I've gone to the various big-name stores to check out what they had, but it's been hard to judge. In many cases, they had no discs in the players and I could only look at menus.

From what I could see, however, there are major differences in screen quality. Some brands, like Insignia, look really washed out with horrible black levels. Some, like the Cyberhomes, also get that low-res look where you can actually see all the pixels.

It looked like the Polaroid models may have good screens. They looked pretty clear and had good blacks. Checking online, they are 800x600 - which is higher than most other brands (which are only 480x234, hence that low-res look). On the downside, the Polaroids didn't have S-video or composite output or progressive scan (which would be nice if I ever need to hook it up to another screen, but isn't the most critical concern to me).

Any suggestions? Do the Polaroids really have the best screens?

Thanks very much!

2. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I like the Panasonics and Audiovox screens....

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have an older Toshiba model that has an excellent quality 8.9-inch screen. The picture is stunning, and was a huge upgrade over the previous Pioneer 7-inch model that I owned. You may want to check out their latest models.

4. Lou R.

Lou R. Auditioning

Thanks guys. I did see a Panasonic unit at BB, but no disc inside and it didn't power up. Haven't seen any Audiovox or Toshiba models around yet, but I still have a few shops to visit. I always did like Toshiba TV picture quality though.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

It's been a little while since I've compared portable DVD's, but I can tell you that the higher end Toshiba's always broke from the pack because they used progressive scan displays with finer pixel arrays. As noted by Scott above, the 8.9" Tosh was out over a year ago and it was the best on the market.

A few other pieces of advice ... it you ever inted to use these on an airplane, look for a model that has a dual hinge. As you get upwards of 9" screens, you're going to have trouble if the guy in front of you decides to recline his seatback. dual hinge screens make a HUGE diff wrt this problem. Ive seen models from Panny & Magnavox recently that offer this feature. Another feature I would consider worthwile is 2 headphone jacks.

If you really want a top notch image ... avoid the low end bix box store brands .... Polaroid, Insignia, Apex, even audiovox. They are just not going to compare to the Panasonics, Toshiba's, Samsungs, Sony's etc. Truly 2 classes of build quality.