Any Polkies have thoughts on the new Polk LSi speaks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohanK, Nov 1, 2001.

1. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

It seems strange that they've gone back to flush mounted drivers, I thought their reasons for the front bezel would apply to most drivers. I also noticed they are not very efficient, 88dB, and are rated at 4 Ohms. These are quite different than their normal stuff.
    It looks like they are maybe branching into a bit higher end. Their new bookshelf speakers are both more expensive than the RT55i, which might imply that these are not replacements, but a new higher line. The same goes with the towers, with the exception that the RT3000p is the most expensive. Like wise for the center and surrounds. So it looks like they got the various sub/sat systems at the bottom, then the RTXXi line, with the corresponding sides and center, the LSi line, and then the speakers from the RT5000 package at the top.
    Well I hope they don't discontinue their other speakers anytime soon. I wanted to slowly upgrade to their higher end stuff (RT3000p and CS1000p) which I could do since they match my current stuff. I'd hate to buy that center, then find the 3000's ddiscontinued when I'm ready to get them.

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

As stated on the Polk web-site... the New line is a higher end line and will not be sold at CC! but higher end stores- like their older lines were. ON the site... they mentioned the trade off of the 88db to be flater... as well they are using more expensive drivers. I'm not a fan of the "look" of the new towers...but again..sound is what counts. I will definatly look to hear the "difference" in these speakers.
    Notice that they are 4ohms...wich also means that an avg. amp will not drive them..
    They are supposed to be in stores in nov some time.. will have to wait and see..
    I like my current RT line...No plans to upgrade as of yet
    ------------------
    So far, So good, So what
    http://members.cardomain.com/bugers
    http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

4. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

I wonder at what stores Polk will sell the new line. Here in central NJ, Polks are available only from the discount chain stores (e.g., Circuit City, The Wiz).

5. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Johan,
    Dang, you beat me to the punch! I was droolin...I mean reasearcing these speakers for a few hours yesterday.
    I like the new design, they are reminiscent of the NHTs and AR speakers.
    1. I don't think they are over priced. The LSi15s are going for slightly less than what the RT2000is are listed at (although you can now pick these up for less that $1,500 at most places). The LSi25s are upwards of the RT3000p. If you look at the specs, they have a very similar performance (if not somewhat better on paper) to the RT series as well.
    2. The build quality seems to be as good or better than the RT series. The RT series was always applauded for it's build quality. quote: It looks like they are maybe branching into a bit higher end.[/quote] I agree.
    3. Not sure about the 6.5s but I did notice that as well.[/list=a]
      I did notice the lower efficiency rating as well, but I think for 4 ohm speakers, thats not a bad thing. Considering also they are only 2 Db difference between the RT series.
      From what I found out from Polk retailers, the LSis are not replacing the RT series (Crutchfield, CC & 800.com). BTW, neither of these retailers has much info on them and they aren't in stock yet.
      I geeked about these. I've always been a Polk fan and I'm definitely in the market for an upgrade.
      I'll be taking a listen to them when they come out.
      Troy
      ------------------
      :My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
      :That's just something ugly people say.

[Edited last by Troy LaMont on November 02, 2001 at 10:51 AM]

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

One thing I noticed while reading about one of these (and I'm assuming it goes for all) the sides are 1.5" thick. That's some seriously solid construction. Unfortunately I haven't had time to go over the rest of the site to see how all of them compare to the RT series.
    [Edited last by Keith Mickunas on November 02, 2001 at 11:02 AM]

7. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Update....
    Just got off of the phone with Polk to verify a couple of facts;
    • These are NOT replacing the RT series. They are a 'higher' end speaker for enthusiasts.
    • The will NOT be carried at CC, GG & the like. The rep I spoke with said they were currently in the process of putting the retailer list together.
    • He stated a rollout schedule of end of November, early December.
    • Literature is being printed but won't be available until the end of Jan 02'.
    The funny thing is, I read a little blurp about these in HT Magazine a few months ago. Not that this is uncommon (and not that there's anything wrong with that). [​IMG]
    Drool material; [​IMG]
    Troy
    ------------------
    :My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
    :That's just something ugly people say.