Any point to direct-view HDTV CRT's?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AngeloNA, Jan 30, 2004.

1. AngeloNA

AngeloNA Agent

I am looking for an HDTV in the sub $2000 range and in the past few months I've done a fair amount of research, concluding that a 30-34" direct view CRT would be the best bet for a smaller room. CRT rear-projection first seemed like a good choice, but I watch a fair amount of standard 4:3 tv plus I play video games, so the danger of burn-in cropped up. Additionally, CRT rear-projections are a bit too tall and their narrower viewing angle sealed their coffin. DLP rear projections seem to avoid these concerns, but they are out of my price range.

My question now is, can a HDTV CRT display the full resolution of a 1080i signal? Most reviews that I've read discuss the picture quality and mention what HDTV standard the CRT displays at, but are these TV's (Sony, Toshiba, Phillips, etc.) really showing the full detail of HDTV, like for instance an LCD or DLP can?

Can one detect a difference in resolution and detail between a top-of-the-line CRT and another, newer technology when both claim to be displaying a 1080i signal? Is there any point to buying a HDTV CRT, or should I just wait for the prices of other HDTV technologies to come down?

2. John S

John S Producer

Their real advantage is bright displays that look good at steep viewing angles.

You are correct the digital based sets reveal their true pixal count. CRT based sets, many of them anyways, don't even want people to know their actual max. lines of resolution.

With that said, I still think CRT RPTV's offer amazing HD pictures, so if you find a direct view that you like the HDTV picture, I'd say go for it, and not worry to much about the actual resolution. Just enjoy the HD picture on it.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

In addition to what John wrote, some of the CRT displays have very fine resolution. I am not sure of the numbers, but the new 34” Sony XBR910 is simply stunning (and I write this as the owner of two 16:9 direct view sets, one of which is the now outdated 34” XBR800.

For me the viewing angle in one room, combined with the size of rear projection sets was a deciding factor (plus two walls that are essentially windows)—my second set is a bedroom set and there, size was the deciding factor.

To be sure, the newer DPL, RPTVs are much more compact than the more traditional RPTVs.

4. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for the Sony XBR910. Some reviews actually favored its picture quality over the other technologies that were higher priced. Like Lew my choice was easy due to viewing angle, light in the room, plus the TV must go in a corner so depth isn't a problem. Curious why you're looking at HDTV if you mostly watch 4:3?

5. AngeloNA

AngeloNA Agent

Thanks for bringing up the viewing angle because I need to remember that my oddly-shaped room warrants giving it special consideration.

I think part of the problem has been psychologically caused by those punks at Best Buy (I hate that store). During my last visit, I noticed that the expensive flat panels and rear projections were using component video connections, while the HD CRT's were using, I think, coaxial RF connections. Needless to say, the image was less than flattering. So while I mentally know that the quality of the CRT's in Best Buy was not indicative of their true performance, it's difficult to truly accept that. I'll just have to wait until it's setup in my living room...

Mark F:, Although most of my tv viewing is 4:3 cable, I'm not that particular about the size and quality of the image for broadcast television, yet. However, I am particularly picky when it comes to properly playing movies, so getting the maximum size for my screen is then a priority. Widescreen Xbox doesn't hurt either!

6. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I've never actually seen HD signals on a smaller direct view set. Considering that a smaller screen size tends to hide a lot of flaws in PQ, how much better is an HD picture over a very well mastered anamorphic DVD?

I know on my bedroom Sony 32FS13, I have a hard time believing that HD could look much better than some DVDs on a screen that size (with anamorphic squeeze turned on).

Has anybody done an A/B comparison or have a link to screenshots?

7. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

I don't think you can get the Sony XBR910 for under 2000. I think when looking at the price point of the XBR910, one needs to consider the panasonic 37" ED plasma over the Sony. For $500 more you get a bigger screen, flat panel coolness, arguably equally great picture, and a reasonable weight.

8. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

AngeloNA - Wanting 16:9 makes sense for movies...you can get the 910 for apx $2200...as a a bonus your standard 4:3 broadcasts will be as good as is possible.

9. Cecil

Cecil Auditioning

Beware of the expression "HD ready monitor or receiver". The Sony series xbr800/910 CANNOT display the full HORIZONTAL resolution of the 1080i HD format. The 910 being about 50-60% better than the 800 based on best avialable data since Sony does not provide the aperture grill pitch for its TV crts unless is some definite improvement as was the 910 vs 800. It is hard to say if you can tell the difference since there are NO sets available as of this date that can dispaly the full resolution of the true 1080i HD format. BTW I have a Sony kv40xbr800 purchased under the mis-imppression that it could display the full resolution of the 1080i HD format. Not so. But still very good tv and I prefer it to the 910 because of the larger 4:3 image given the hugh of amount of 4:3 material that is available now and into the forseeable future.

10. JamesClif

JamesClif Extra

JVC-34WP84- 1500i way below $2000