Any point in prog scan DVD if I don't have HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean EH, May 13, 2002.

1. Sean EH

Sean EH Auditioning

I'm looking for my first DVD player. I was thinking about getting the Panasonic RP56 or Toshiba 4700, but I only have a conventional 27" TV. Will they offer me any advantages over cheaper non-prog scan players, or should I save some money and get a bare-bones model? Thanks for the help!

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You won't get any benefit from progressive scan. Whether it's worth it to get a p/s player anyway depends on whether you think you'll be getting a new set anytime soon.

M.

3. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

With your current set there is no advantage to using a progressive scan player. If you are planning to upgrade in the near future, it may be worth it.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yep, if you're looking toward future compatibility, there's nothing wrong about going with a prog-scan player with reverse 2:3 pulldown. It will be ready to dazzle you when you get a 480p-capable display.

5. Sean EH

Sean EH Auditioning

So the question becomes: With the rapid improvements in electronics, will a prog scan player I buy now be any good a few years from now, or would it be better to buy a $100 player now to use until I get the HDTV? Thanks for the input!

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Up to you. The prices of prog-scan players are so low as to make this a moot point. May as well go with the better player.