What's new

Any point in prog scan DVD if I don't have HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Sean EH

Auditioning
I'm looking for my first DVD player. I was thinking about getting the Panasonic RP56 or Toshiba 4700, but I only have a conventional 27" TV. Will they offer me any advantages over cheaper non-prog scan players, or should I save some money and get a bare-bones model? Thanks for the help!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You won't get any benefit from progressive scan. Whether it's worth it to get a p/s player anyway depends on whether you think you'll be getting a new set anytime soon.

M.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
With your current set there is no advantage to using a progressive scan player. If you are planning to upgrade in the near future, it may be worth it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yep, if you're looking toward future compatibility, there's nothing wrong about going with a prog-scan player with reverse 2:3 pulldown. It will be ready to dazzle you when you get a 480p-capable display.

Sean EH

Auditioning
So the question becomes: With the rapid improvements in electronics, will a prog scan player I buy now be any good a few years from now, or would it be better to buy a $100 player now to use until I get the HDTV? Thanks for the input!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Up to you. The prices of prog-scan players are so low as to make this a moot point. May as well go with the better player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks