What's new

Any plate amps stable at 2ohms? (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

I pulled the trigger - and ordered the XA-1100 from Musician's Friend. The order confirmation process told me that orders placed before 2:00 P.M. (EST) would ship the same day. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if mine ships.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
are you serious!! that is awesome! this might make you feel alittle better also. here is the exact reply i got regarding the Nady SPA 1400 when i asked about the noise of the fans.........

"The coolong fans are exceptionally quiet. that's one very special feature about this amp. barely audible. I used it in my drum mixer rack while recording to power studio monitors. it's never even gotten warm on me at 4ohms stereo."

I will be very excited to hear what your impressions are on this amp so make sure and give us an update when it arrives.

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

I have 2 of the PE amps running @ 2 ohms for over a year now. * DISCLAIMER * :)
the amps are NOT approved by PE for operation under 2 ohms. I have spoken with them and they say they are not modifiable for it either, so I will not be held liable for blown or burnt amps !! (that said, a buddy overheated his @ a 4 ohm load in a sealed box, and Parts Express repaired it for $20.00 plus shipping, not bad!)

I have the amps mounted externally, separate from the enclosure, with a small AC duct bringing cool air,over the fins and backside, from the AC unit. I have used a 120mm case fan too, and they seemed to work fine with that also.
the PE guy said if they live at that load, expect ~ 380-400w out of it :)
I have one on each VC of an AV15 in a 12 cu ft sealed and stuffed, it rocks

Chris Brock

Second Unit
have you heard anything or have you received your amp yet? Mine should be delivered tomorrow. ive got the sub 100% complete and ready to hook up so i should be able to post some thougths on thursday.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

Nope, not yet. Then again, we have freezing rain at the moment - and it's been raining all night. UPS has my amp at a location about 35 miles from where I live and the tracking details indicates a "hold" due to the weather:

But, since I still haven't completed the cabinets, the amp will sit for a few days anyway. But, I will look it over, remove the cover and take some pictures when it does arrive so that a review can be started.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
at least you know it is all coming togather. my Dayton 15" DVC came yesterday and I installed it in the enclosure. it looks great! i used a router on all the edges to round them off and I finished it in a matte black. i jsut wish i had made it larger. it is only 6 cubic feet and tuned to 21 hz. if i could go back i would probebly go with about 10 cubic feet tuned to about 18hz.:frowning: at least i have somehting i can do later down the road when i get bored!;)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

My Nady power amp did actually arrive today. I guess UPS got their trucks rolling again this morning to permit the deliveries to go through.

My initial impressions:

1) The amplifier comes double-boxed from Nady. In addition to the double-boxing, there are also some flat pieces of cardboard tucked inside the boxes to provide additional protection.

2) Within the "inside" box that protects the amplifier, there is a styrofoam surround which protects the outside edges of the subwoofer.

3) Weight. Considering the cardboard and a little styrofoam weighs just 3 or 4 Lbs., the amp is still damn heavy.

4) From the pictures that I've seen, it looked like the tabs on the front left and right could be removed - if one chose not to rack mount the amp. However, the tabs for rack mounting are essentially parts of the side covers for the cabinet, so they must remain on.

5) Weight. Did I mention how heavy this thing was? Oh yeah - I did up above. :D

I just wish I had my cabinets completed. However, work has a priority right now. But, I have gotten down to 3 sheets of MDF - I've cut 9 of them for the shelves that I'm building for a client. The last 2 sheets of MDF are mine - all MINE !! :) :) :)

Within the next day or so, I'll look into popping the cover off the Nady to check out the power source for this beast. Since I'll never be able to use all of the amp's power with just a pair of Shiva drivers, I'll put out an advance notice that in June/July of this year, I'll be selling a pair of gently used Shiva drivers. :D :D

Chris Brock

Second Unit
that is great!! my amp is schedlued to arrive today so i should be able to post an initial full review of it. how does the overall construction seem? also one of my big concerns......have you actually turned the unit on to see how loud the fans are? according to the people i have talked to they are very quite.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

To answer your questions:

1) Construction: appears to be top-notch. I keep looking for bricks hidden in the unit to determine if they are creating the weight for this unit - but, I can't find any.

2) Fan noise: I didn't power mine on yet to see how loud the fans are.

Also, I purchased a "smart-strip" which was referenced in one of these threads a few weeks back. The smart outlet will handle the auto power-on/off for the amp. Hopefully, this will keep me from having to push the on/off button each time I want to use it. Link to Smart-Strip: Smart Strip

I'm still struggling on where/how to mount mine. I guess until I make a final determination, I'll be able to go through some conduit and mount it in the garage - which is on the back side of my built-in entertainment center.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Smart Strip

I have been tryign to figure out a way so i wouldnt have to go and turn the amp on and off all the time. thank you once again.

Nick L

Second Unit
If I were to buy one of the Nady amps for my sub, how would I set the crossover? I am in the market for a plate amp for my 3L sealed shiva. I think that the Nady looks pretty tempting, if I could get it crossed over for sub use.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
since the amp has no on board crossovers, your would either need to have a reciever that has a LFE crossover or you would have to be a seperate crossover. it would work great for a shiva. you could run it in stereo at 8 ohms and the shiva would see a full 400wrms.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I was thinking about getting one of those Nady amps to power my Tempest and a DPL 12 in the future. Seems like a good deal.

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I am very insterested in hearing what the initial thoughts are so far on the Nady SPA unit and if anyone has an XA unit I would love to hear about that as well. I'm interested in both the Nady XA-900 or the SPA 1400 for an SVS 25-31CS+. Hopefully the Nady's don't have loud fan noise as I have been hearing about power amps.

The world wants to know...hehe.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
I have a XA900 and i can give some good initial impressions. The fans are not loud compared to others ive heard. when everything is totally quite you can hear them some but it is hardly noticable. the construction feels rock solid and it are very heavy. it came double boxed with alot of padding. i have not gotten to really listen to the amp yet because when my sub got here there were problems but if it performs as well as it is constructed and looks then it should be impressive. when i get my new tempest i am going to post a full review of the amp in a new thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.