Any plans to remaster Talking Heads?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RaulR, Sep 12, 2002.

1. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who thinks this band is way overdue for a remastering of the entire catalogue. I was hoping that the special edition of Stop Making Sense was just the beginning, but it's been quite a while since it came out. Has anyone heard of any plans/rumors?

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I asked this question on their bulletin board shortly before the HOF induction ceremony and didn't got a mixed reaction. Several people wanted them and others spoke of their dislikes for re-mastered albums especially with bonus tracks. I'm not sure that I understood the argument, but to each his own. I would definitely purchase re-masters of all of their work.

The only thing that I've heard is that a box-set is in the works, I think Rhino is involved along with all of the band members and rumor is that it will contain a lot of rare tracks, b-sides, & live material. I hope "The Name of This Band is Talking Heads" makes it in there somewhere. I've got this on vinyl and it's a tremendous album. There hasn't been any talk of the boxset for sometime, but supposedly David Byrne has mentioned it in interviews. Maybe next year sometime.

3. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I would love to see a proper remastering done; however especially with the "Eno-sized" records (Fear of Music and Remain in Light, in particular) I think the source material has a certain amount of tinniness and synthezied production quality that many people mistake for "low fidelity".

I recall seeing the thick vinyl import re-release of Remain in Light a few years ago, and now greatly regret not picking it up.

The negative reactions over remasters are likely from purists who don't want any songs changed, in ANY way, from the versions they originally heard. Which is a fear of remixes, technically. (a fear of music!) There was a small uproar over the remastered "Stop Making Sense" CD - particularly with "Psycho Killer", which removed the beat box from the foreground (as in the original soundtrack release) and made the guitar strumming the major rhythmic push of the track.

I prefer the new version, but the old version has its charm.

As to why people wouldn't want bonus tracks - as long as they are pushed tastefully to the end of the album and after a few seconds' delay... what's the problem? They can just press "stop".

I do remember that the original XTC CD releases had bonus tracks sliced into the middle of the album. Talk about annoying... thankfully, the new versions stuck them at the end, where they belong.

"The Name of This Band is Talking Heads" is probably one of my favorite TH albums. It is a crime that this is not available to those without record players. I hope this "box set" includes all of that material.

~Steve

4. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I agree that the complete TH catalogue is way overdue for a remaster. I've daydreamed a few times about how I'd like to see it done - each album remastered from the original master tapes, with whatever B-sides and live tracks seem appropriate from the era of each concurrent LP stuck on the end of the disc, and good sized booklets included. These would be similar to the Who remasters, but without the 'issues' (related to Jon Astley's involvement) that some audiophiles seem to have with those CD's.

Maybe a Rhino box will be the next best thing, especially since they'll likely do a thorough remaster for that anyway, (with more tracks included than on that crappy SAND IN THE VASELINE compilation that I never bothered to pick up). I agree that THE NAME OF THIS BAND IS TALKING HEADS should be included in its entirety. It's one of my fave TH albums too, and grabbing a few tracks off Napster before that service went down was a marvellous experience. (I've since lost them to a hard-drive crash, along with an amazing early-90's David Byrne rendition of 'Big Blue Plymouth' from the Letterman show).

5. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

6. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I love the Talking Heads and would very much like to see a good compilation.

I saw the Stop Making Sense concert in college in Charlottesville, Virginia and thought it was the greatest thing I had seen.

Some of David Byrne's concerts have been very, very good lately as well.

I would be extremely happy about any hi-rez reissues.

8. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I'd be up for reissues too, as well as "The Name Of This Band...," particularly if they're as nice as what Rhino is doing with the Ramones catalog.

A lot of mid-80s material sounds atrocious on CD; the most egregious offenders on Warner Bros. are The Replacements' "Tim" (which we call "Tin," as it sounds like it was processed through a tin can) and Hüsker Dü's "Candy Apple Grey."