What's new

Any plans to release Poltergeist Trilogy SE (1 Viewer)

Jo_C

Second Unit
Well,

I'm afraid that won't be possible now because Warner/Turner now holds rights to the original movie (which would mean Warner Home Video would release any future DVD of the first one), while MGM has rights to the remaining two.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Why would anyone on this planet want special editions of Poltergeist 2 and 3. They are really bad movies, and they are out on a double bill DVD looking fine - that's more than enough, IMO.

It would be great, however, to have the first movie as a SE, and I thought I'd read one was in the works.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
"Poltergeist II: The Other Side" is my favorite of the three films. The reason? Because of Julian Beck's performance as Reverend Henry Kane. He gave a face to the evil presence and he did it in a very creepy and effective way. So yes, I'd love to have a SE of part 2. But, I'm happy that MGM gave it a very nice 16:9 enhanced 2.35:1 widescreen transfer. "Poltergeist III," however, is garbage.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I suppose what I have learned from lurking around on this board for a few weeks is that for every film ever made, no matter how bad or how obscure or how famous or how nothing it may be, there is someone somewhere for whom a Special Edition is a must-have, their dream come true. For me, the two Poltergeist sequels didn't work at all, despite some good performances. The first film is marvelous - funny, scary, well-written and well-directed, and it would be really fun to have a really truthful commentary track on it.
;)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Is it Poltergeist 2 or 3 where there's some scene involving a swimming pool? I remember sleeping over at a friends house when I was about 10 and renting one of the sequels and all I remember is a scene with a swimming pool...

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like a commentary track for the original if for anything to learn who really directed that movie with all the rumours I've heard. the e true hollywood story on the trilogy(i thought there was one anyways) would be cool too

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Part 3 has the swimming pool scene.

I thought part 3 was good as a ghost story. Part 2 fell apart for me with the overt medicine man nonsense, and by showing wayyyy too much of the other side. What a total letdown. It's not something they COULD have showed that could top our imagination, and they shouldn't have tried. Part 2 went with too much. Part 3 is clumsily done, but I still dig the set pieces, and the characters more than the first sequel.

Neither of the sequels comes even CLOSE to topping part 1, which is just an amazing film. One of my favorites.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
WB said in the last chat here that a Poltergeist SE will eventually be produced, but no other details were given. I would love to see a 2 disc edition of this with Tobe Hooper Commentary and perhaps a second commentary with the writers who had some interesting comments in the E! special. I think they could produce a great documentary on the series. Tributes to the actors who have died. A featurette with real experts in parapsychology (if there is such a thing) maybe even a full blown commentary if there was enough to say. Tribute to Jerry Goldsmith. Special effects breakdowns. Deleted scenes, including the alternate face ripping scene that was used for television in the 80s. There is so much potential for a great SE. I hope WB realizes this and pushes it up on their schedule.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Because I saw part III theatrically and haven't forgot how scared I was from seeing that film. SE treatment for the movie would rock for me! *Not that I would buy it...it's the thought that matters!

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Originally posted by Robert Ringwald:
I thought part 3 was good as a ghost story. Part 2 fell apart for me

Live long enough and you'll see everything, including finding someone on this great globe that actually prefers POLTERGEIST III to II...wow...

Chris Parham

Stunt Coordinator
I was at bestbuy today and saw the double feature disc for parts two and three for $13 Canadian and a single disc for part one also for $13 CDN. While I'm not a huge fan of these movies, they certainly were a part of my youth and I wouldn't mind owning the set for $26 if the transfers are even halfway decent. I know that they are listed as Anamorphic OAR and I'm thinking that that may be enough to sway me ( Like I said, I'm not a HUGE fan so bells and whistles don't mean much). Unless the transfers are a train wreck, I'll buy. Can anyone who has seen these vouch for them?

Thanks!

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I have all three of these movies on DVD. Here are the specs:
Audio/Video Features:
1.85:1, 2.35:1, Anamorphic 16x9
Color
Stereo, Surround

If you plan to buy, check out DeepDiscountDVD first. Cheaper than Best Buy. $9.12 with shipping for the Poltergiest double feature (2 & 3) and $9.00 for Poltergeist. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Parham

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, Bestbuy option is marginally cheaper after exchange and taxes. Are the transfers decent?

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Yeah how are the transfers? I wouldn't mind picking them up too. I remembered the scenes with the good reverend and the worm in the bottle from PII for years even though I couldn't remember the name of the movie.

Med

Stunt Coordinator
During the Warners chat last week they said they have plans for a Poltergeist 25 Anniversary SE - so that won't be until 2007! :frowning:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

For what it's worth, Fox's "Planet of the Apes" 35th Anniversary Edition was released in 2003, the film's 36th anniversary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks