What's new

Any plans to release Omen SE? (1 Viewer)

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
Current version already has documentary and Richard Donner commentary, so IMHO it qualifies as a special edition.;)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone tell me if the other 3 films are worth seeing?

I'm considering picking up the 4-disc boxset, though so far every review I've read regarding the sequels has been abominable. Should I stick with the Special Edition of the first disc or take my chances with the box-set?

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Damien: Omen II is fun, but not quite as atmospheric as the first film.
The Final Conflict is interesting but it doesn't quite work.
Omen IV: The Awakening is a piece-of-shit TV movie not worth wasting your time on.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a hardcore Omen fan, so if II is just "fun" and III doesn't work than I'd probably be best sticking with the S.E. of the first movie, right?

Is Omen II worth a rental?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
DDD has the omen box set (4 films) for $24 and the first film alone for $10.
i was thinking of ordering this recently too, but i can't decide which way to go either.

i've never seen 2 and it has Bill Holden in it (who is one of my favorite actors) and i've never heard anybody really rag on it-unlike some other popular series sequels-

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Even if part II is simply mediocre... is it really worth owning the other 2 consecutively worse sequels if the only film that will probably be revisited is the first?

After thinking it over, I've taken the box set off my wishlist. I doubt part II would be good enough to warrant multiple viewings and the rest of the discs seem to be just about worthless from all the reviews I've read, so I'm sticking with The Omen: SE for now.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i just found out that the first three films are avaiable from Columbia House, so probably my next order i will pick up at least the first film (average price per movie going thru CH tend to be under $8 with tax and shipping- sometimes much less).

i would have gotten it this time but i ordered Rosemary's Baby instead.
6 of one...
;)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
DAMIEN is a lot of fun, but just don't go in expecting it to be up to the caliber of the first film. Personally, if I had to choose to watch only one OMEN film in the future, it would probably be DAMIEN. Not because it's better than the original, but just because it's more entertaining in a silly sort of way. The death sequences are all great, the revised Goldsmith score is good, the teenage Damien and the supporting cast are all top-notch, and the film moves at a brisk pace throughout. Sure, it lacks the "importance" of the original film, but who cares. For repeat viewings, I definitely prefer the 'inventive death every 10 minutes" formula that DAMIEN created more than the original film. And I know I'm not alone in this opinion.

On the other hand, FINAL CONFLICT is deadly dull. And OMEN IV is so wretched that it's actually good for a few laughs IF you're in the right state of mind.

I'd recommend the box set anyway just to get the first two films. Consider the other two as bonus features that you'll never watch.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Omen II is pretty OK but not as good as the first one.
Omen III is only worth watching because Sam Neill
and the music by Jerry Goldsmith which isn't that
great but it is a Goldsmith score...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Fox Movie Channel is running a letterboxed showing of Omen II as i type this.
glad i didn't spring for the box set.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

I couldn't disagree with that statement more. THE FINAL CONFLICT is not just the *best* score of the entire series, it's also one of Goldsmith's finest works in his entire career -- more expansive, lyrical, and evocative than its predecessors. There's a general consensus among Goldsmith fans and the film scoring community as well that OMEN III is one of Goldsmith's towering achievements.

RickardL

Supporting Actor

Hmm, I see I need to revisit (relisten?) that one...
I remember thinking it was very non-Goldsmith sounding
but my opinion might have changed in 23 years.

Edit: I just sampled some of it and I think it was
huge choral arrangements that put me off track.
But some things sounds very Goldsmith, I must admit.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Well said, Mike. I also think the first OMEN is somewhat overrated (although I still like it a lot for what it is). It is and always has been just your basic B-movie, but with a lot of excellent production values and gloss to make you think otherwise. It's a dumb movie disguised as a prestige Hollywood production, but it's so well made, that it actually does succeed in looking 'important'.

And that's the reason why I kind of prefer DAMIEN over the original for repeat viewings. DAMIEN doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is - it's just a fun little horror flick with some cool death scenes and a recycled Jerry Goldsmith score. Silly and dumb - yep - but none of that false aura of "importance" the original has. I guess it's a preference thing. I like both films in different ways - but I have this special affinity towards the sequel.

However, I keep giving FINAL CONFLICT more chances, but it still never works for me. The score may be excellent, but the rest of it is all so flatly directed and slowly paced that I can't help but feel that the 'end of the world' should be just a bit more exciting. Oh well, it's still the end of the trilogy so it deserves to be part of the collection. I may not revisit the third film very often, but I'm glad I have the whole set nonetheless. And $24 is pretty cheap -I'm sure I spent a bit more than that when the box set first came out.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Funny, I wasn't aware that it's makers were trying for anything more "important" than a good supernatural/paranoid thriller, I think your mistaking attempted class and grandeur-on-a-budget for self importance.
In fact that is exactly what they say in the docu and commentary track.

In that regard (especially considering the fairly low budget) they succeeded IMO.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Actually, I guess I was referring more to the marketing of the film by Fox more than the intents of the filmmakers themselves. Fox created a marvelous low-key and ominous campaign for the original film in both its print ads and trailers/tv spots. They presented the film as a serious high-end quality thriller. It was marketed as an 'important' thriller, not as an exploitation film.

I don't want to get into a debate about the film's merits. I love the original - I saw it several times upon its original release and still admire it. All I was saying is that if you strip away the excellent direction and production values, you basically are left with your standard b-movie skeleton. Nothing wrong with that, though! I'd much rather watch a quality b-movie than a crappy one. THE OMEN is an excellent b-movie with excellent production values, a good cast, and a prestige marketing campaign. No complaints here.

DAMIEN is also a b-movie with good production values, but it has that aura of 'exploitation' on it. It's cheesier and sillier than the original, definitely, but for some reason, I like that aura of exploitation. It adds to its charm, so to speak. That's just my preference, though. Many viewers may not agree about DAMIEN because they dislike blatant exploitation and feel the film is just a stupid follow-up. That's fine. But I was weened on drive-in flicks and sometimes enjoy the underdogs more than the polished diamonds.

My main point was that both of these films are b-movies. The original is very well-made and was marketed as a prestige Hollywood thriller. DAMIEN is also very well made, but shows it's exploitation elements. I think both films offer a lot of entertainment to possibly different audiences. I love both of them. Some may not. But at least give DAMIEN a chance. He is the anti-christ, you know.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I understand that you don't want to get into a debate about it (and indeed this is off topic) but you have to expect a response when saying things such as this.

Again I don't understand (or more specifically Agree with..) the use of the word "Important", it's not like they were marketing it as the next Godfather or Network, when I watch the trailers and see the original poster tags all I get from it is that this is a supernatural/semi-political thriller with religious overtones. Any self-importance is only IMO the usual mid-70's hollywood marketing hyperbole.

Also I have to disagree with your pigeonholing it as an "exploitation" film, it isn't IMO, ToolBox Murders, I Spit on Your Grave, Texas Chainsaw Massacre & Foxy Brown are exploitation films, The Omen isn't. Yes it may be violent but so was the Godfather..is that an exploitation film?
It might seem cliche in the light of today but back when it was released is was, if not "unique", then definitely unusual. Supernatural thrillers were in fashion then to be sure (Rosemary's Baby - The Exorcist - Carrie etc. etc.) but not quite like this one. It was odd, a supernatural thriller/mystery starring Gregory Peck as a politician with aspirations for the White House who's son may just be the antichrist...that is different to say the least.

I don't know, I just disagree with your assessment of the films baser undercurrents.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. And I never compared THE OMEN to low-budget drive-in fare like I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE. Obviously they are worlds apart as far as quality goes. But I stand by my assessment that THE OMEN is really no more substantial than most smaller independent horror films of that era, just a heck of a lot better made than most. Maybe 'important' was not the correct word to classify how Fox marketed the film, but it sure was sold as a class A product across the board. I vividly recall Peck's appearance on Johnny Carson to promote the film and he sure was selling it as something way more substantial and low-key than it actually was, basically hiding the fact that it had any supernatural elements at all. It's as if he himself was afraid to be associated with a horror film. And exploitation films are not strictly low-budget drive-in movies with tons of blood and sex. Practically every big summer movie is an exploitation film, especially these days. They just now have mega-budgets and big name stars. In my eyes, THE OMEN was and will always be a Class A exploitation horror film. And once again, there's nothing wrong with that. And before this thread gets moved for getting off-topic, I feel I've stated my final thoughts on this matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks