Any plans for releasing Olivier's Henry V?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Frederic_A, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

Laurence Olivier's WWII version of Henry V is IMHO far superior to Brannagh's film, but to date, it is only available on VHS. Does anyone know of any plans to release it on DVD?

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

3. Frederic_A

You're right - I almost feel a bit silly now. [​IMG] I've been waiting for this for a long time, but it seems to have been released without much fanfare. Hope it's gotten the treatment I've come to expect from Carlton. Thanks!

4. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Yes its out there but don't expect much from the transfer. I don't know if it has been reissued or tidied up but I bought the version in the Carlton Silver Collection for about a £5 quite a while ago. The scenes on the stage and the battlefield are OK but the darker ones in the camp are very grainy probably among the grainiest on any DVD (honestly they look as if they have transfered from a deteriorating VHS !). So unless you can get it really cheaply don't get the Carlton. If you're a really big fan of the film (I'm not)I think I'd invest in the Criterion.

5. andrew markworthy

6. Frederic_A

Thank you for your helpful comments, everyone! Andrew and Derek: I realize that the Criterion edition offers more in terms of extras, but have you had a chance to compare the transfers on the respective discs? That would be the selling point for me. Perhaps the grain is a fault in the source material, and would be present on the Criterion disc as well?

7. Frederic_A