Any plans for more 5.1 Home Theater Specific Mixes?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MikeEckman, Oct 20, 2003.

1. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I just wanted to say, that last night, I had the priveledge of watching the 5.1 Home Theater Mix on Disney's The Lion King last night and was totally blown away. Original Theatrical Presentation purists, be damned, I loved this mix!!

I saw the thread about the gimmicky ad for T3's Special 5.1 mix, but I wanted to know if Disney, or any other studio might be coming up with some more "juiced" home theater specific mixes?

I really think that if done correctly, this could be a very good thing, since, it seems most of us prefer to watch movies in our own home theaters than in an actual theater where we have no control over the acoustics.

I didn't think the Lion King mix was gimmicky, or that it detracted from the movie. I can't remember the last time I felt as immersed into a movie as I did last night.

I give Disney a big thumbs up for this one, and hope that in the future, mixes like this become more common!!!

2. MichaelO

MichaelO Stunt Coordinator

I'll second this! We watched The Lion King last night as well and we were blown away by the entire presentation. The Home Theater 5.1 mix ranks way up on my list of all-time DVD mixes.

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

If I remember correctly, it seems I remember discussion on HTF a long time back that said DD5.1 tracks were created with "downsampling" in mind, resulting in quality compromises and that it would be nice if the 5.1 track could be created without worrying about downsampling to 2.0 (or even 1.0) for those without HT setups. Well, Disney has finally done just that, and the audio result is excellent! Hopefully this will be a standard feature on more Disney DVDs (and other studios as well) in the future.

Great job, Disney!

Steve K.

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I hope that companies do follow Disneys Lion King DVD. That mix was simply amazing! So accurate, life like and dynamic. I was so impressed by that mix. It is definately one of the best dvd's ever. Not only were the thunderous action scenes impressive, but the quiet subtle passages were also impressive. I am the one who started the thread on the T-3 soundtrack and from the responses that I have got and the research I have done, it is NOT something special. I have no doubt that it will sound outstanding but it is not some kind of special mix like on The Lion King.

5. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Hasn't New Line been doing this with their releases for several years now? I know that Mi Casa has been correcting the mixes for Home Theater by removing the X-Curve which makes theatrical mixes too hot for homes, but not if it's the same thing. I would imagine it is, and that New Line just doesn't brand it like Disney does with everything they do (like 'Disney DVD').

6. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    David Fincher remastered SEVEN's sound mix specifically for Home Theatre.

7. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit