What's new

Any plans for LOREENA MCKENNITT on DVD...? (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
While id known about her from the VH1 video THE MUMMERS DANCE,
I had never investigated further.
Then I heard MARAKESH NIGHT MARKET and fell absolutely in love.
Her music is written, played and arranged with such earnestness, caring and skill- that hearing the yearing in her voice sends chills up my spine....
Her voice has a lovely, sad, piercing quality to it.
Her compostitions are not the typical AOR fluff-fodder, usually based on Literature, Mythology, or her travels-and usually longer than 3 minutes per song...and you can clearly feel that she loves singing of the subject at hand...
I would describe the music as folk/rock/Celtic/Middle Eastern/Medeval with a dab of Classical-serious writings to be sure, but no overtones of pompousness...
She operates her own label, Quinlan Road Ltd, out of Toronto...
(thru Warner Bros)
Ive heard rumors of a DVD of her last live concert but nothing concrete...anyone know more?
Inappropriately, her music is filed under the 'new age' section in some stores...
most others, in rock or folk...
------------------
[Edited last by Mark_TS on October 29, 2001 at 01:13 PM]

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Mark,
Boy, nice to hear that someone else truly appreciates this fine artist. She really brings an aura to her music.
Book of Secrets is pretty much my reference CD when I'm messing with room treatment and speaker placement.
I would be one of the first to buy any DVD (dts preferred, of course) she released.
I hope any possible rumors of a DVD release are true.
BOK
typo edit
[Edited last by Brian OK on October 28, 2001 at 08:04 PM]

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Humm, I've almost forgotten about her... I too loved her CD Books of Secrets... Maybe I should bring it out again and listen to it again (I think I didn't even try it on my HT setup... - Maybe next month when I get DPL2 and Circle Surround!)
In the meantime, I'm getting my Workstation upgraded at work soon so they'll be plenty of space for MP3s... (HD Going from 4GB to 20GB - The boss didn't like it when I told him I was gonna convert all those CDs to MP3s and fill it up - but 15 GB Free or 10 GB Free + 5 GBs of MP3s is the same as far as he needs to know!) I bought her CD primairly for At-Work Listening so that would be great to have the space for it...
Her music would surely sound amazing in 5.1 on DVD-Audio...
But a concert DVD I would get for sure...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'd like to see a Loreena McKennitt concert dvd. Throw on a few extras as well - I'd like to see her discuss the genesis of her music.
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

Jasen Kent

Grip
I had the joy of seeing Loreen McKennitt live a few years ago and I was totally mesmerized by her and her music. One of the very few artists that can vocally match her recorded music when singing live.
You should check out her earlier CD's like "The Visit" and "The Mask and the Mirror". Just amazing.
She reminds me somewhat of a cross between Stevie Nicks - (on a good day) and Enya.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they did any video taping of the double live ablum she released last year from Paris and Toronto? IMO its stellar material and very well recorded.
------------------
http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
(pulls Book of Secrets CD out, puts into CD player :) )
I discovered Loreena MckEnnitt when dance version The Mummers' Dance was on the radio. I bought the CD, and was very impressed. A multi-channel DVD version of her music would be very nice.
Now I've got to play Book of Secrets in DPLII when I get home.

paul_v

Second Unit
The Mask in the Mirror - Track 4 - probably my favorite song from her (sorry I dont keep the CD Cases in my car so I forget the name of the track).
------------------

paul_v

Second Unit
Oh yeah if you like Loreena Mckennet check out Lisa Gerrard. I actually like Lisa's voice a little better.
------------------

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I was at the Toronto show they recorded for the live CD, and there were no cameras. It's insane that they haven't done an elaborate concert for a DVD yet. I'm sure they'll release the special she did for PBS at some point. Hopefully we'll see some stuff soon. Actually, she's due for a new album...
EDIT: Just checked her web site. It was last updated in August, so no action on that front. There's a VHS copy of "No Journey's End" available. That's the PBS special I mentioned. Sadly, it's only 30 minutes and no DVD. WE NEED MORE LOREENA!
http://www.quinlanroad.com
------------------
"I'd trade it all for a little more." - C. Montgomery Burns
[Edited last by Andrew Walsh on October 30, 2001 at 05:45 PM]

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Loreena McKinnett appears on the DVD documentary entitled Celtic Tides. She is seen performing the song Lady of Shalott, although I don't think the entire song is played. There is also a brief interview with her intercut in this.
I agree that the live CD would make for a nice DVD. Hear's hoping someone will take notice of this.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Loreena hasn't put out anything since "Book of Secrets" and it appears to be because of the drowning death of her fiance, his brother, and a friend. She hasn't done any work in the studio either. While not a prolific artist this dry spell is somewhat alarming to her fans. It's been four years already and short of a few pieces for documentaries she hasn't shown any signs of creating album-oriented work.
I would love a good DTS DVD of her music complete with some videos but I doubt it will happen. It would be a pity considering just how well-recorded her CDs are.
My $.02 cents.
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.