What's new

Any plans for a SE of Bottle Rocket? (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
There was talk that Criterion would attempt to get the rights, but then again, that was back when "The Royal Tenenbaums" came out on Criterion DVD, and I haven't heard anything since.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I heard the same thing, but to no avail. Great movie and certainly deserving of a better release.

I haven't watched this since I got my HDTV...is it anamorphic? Also, from what I recall, the case says that it's like Dolby Digital Stereo or DD Surround, but I want to say that it was flagged as 5.1 when I last watched it. Can anyone confirm?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
If a "Bottle Rocket" Criterion Collection disc doesn't come out to coincide with the DVD release of "The Life Aquatic", I think we can officially give up all hope.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I found out about this movie years ago from a post on this very forum. It's since become one of my all-time favorite movies. I would do anything for a full-on special edition. A Wes Anderson/Wilson Bros. commentary would be awesome.

Sorry for going a little further than an obligatory quote. :)

"He's out. You're out, too. And I don't think I'm in either. No Gang!"

"What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
"Exactly."

"Oh no no no no no no no no no no no--SON OF A BITCH! Anthony! Anthony! Bob's gone--he stole his car."

"What's this you got on man?"
"Jumpsuit. You like it? I ordered a dozen of 'em."

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Just thought I'd jump on here real quick, I'd consider BR as one of my all time favorite movies (mind you, not "best" movies, but I've seen the damn thing easily 50 times). I emailed Criterion probably just about a year ago and asked them that since Rushmore and Royal were getting the treatment, would we ever see a Criterion release of Bottle Rocket, I received a response I think it was from their head of production who told me that it had not been discussed and that there were no plans anytime in the future to release it. I also started a thread on imdb a while back to see if anyone knew anything, but no one did. Truly a movie that is deserving a better release, hopefully we'll see it one day.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Criterion keeps emphasizing that they don't have a deal in place with CTHV to do a special edition of this title. That's why films like Terry Gilliam's "Fisher King" and "Adventures of Baron Munchousen" are bare bones titles from Sony instead of the full on special editions they were on laserdisc from Criterion. If we're going to see any decent releases for any of these films, it will have to come from the studio that owns them. Which probably means never.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I would buy a Superbit if released. I think CTHV is too busy thinking up ways to milk Spider Man though.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

The current version of Bottle Rocket is not anamorphic. It's letterboxed. I'm 99.9% certain.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
quote:The current version of Bottle Rocket is not anamorphic. It's letterboxed. I'm 99.9% certain.

The current R1 release is anamorphic - I'm 100% certain.

quote:martin scorcesse (sp) and everyone on this board loved this movie. i thought it sucked

It's "Scorsese", and nice thread crap.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
John,

Thanks for the quotes and screen caps...it made for a few chuckles at work!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
quote:martin scorcesse (sp) and everyone on this board loved this movie. i thought it sucked

you should either tell us why you thought it "sucked" or stay out of posting in discussions involving films you dislike to refrain from being seen as a thread crapper.

CJ

Joshua B

Auditioning
Here's another person who would love this title to receive the royal treatment, although I enjoy Rushmore just a bit more than Bottle Rocket.

Shem Kellogg

Agent
i can't remember why i thought it sucked cuz i saw it like 10 years ago. and i dint like rushmore either. not funny

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it IS funny. And Rushmore was absolutely hilarious. I guess you either like them or you don't, although I am not sure how you wouldn't like them. Go watch the trailers for The Life Aquatic, and if you don't laugh, you don't have a funny bone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks