What's new

Any Physiology or Immunobiology students out there? (1 Viewer)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I can do my best to help, if you need it. While I did graduate two years ago, I have a BS in biology and took extensive classes in physiology, microbiology, and immunology. I have to say, though, that I'm better at the last two than physiology.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Wow Leila...I had no idea!

Hey, any of your read Matt Ridley's new book, "Nature Via Nurture", yet?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Can somebody break down the chord conductance equation for me as it relates to the generation of resting membrane potential and ionic equilibria? :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
No. :D

Bigger wire/nerve = better conductance, resting membrane set nearer to K+'s because it's the major ion species?? and there are a few delta gs in there somewhere. ;) I would have recommended BRS Phys, but I don't think this is covered in it.

Awaiting true answer...

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
This is what I have:

Vm = gk/sigmag...

Ah screw it. It's difficult to write on this little response thing. Hey administrators, know any HEX codes for sigmas and subscripting/super scripting? :D

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Max, yup! My intention was to go to medical school but somewhere during the process I realized that it wasn't my true calling. I still highly enjoy the biological sciences, but I'm also very much interested in all things computing. I'm in IT now and plan to stay here, but I do read and study biology in my spare time.

I have not read Nature via Nurture yet. I'm still trying to finish up a few books on business and IT. That book's on my list, though, and I'll probably read it next. :)

Dome, I don't know your answer for sure. Like I said, physiology wasn't my strong suit but I'll review my textbooks and see if I can help you out.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I have a useless BS in biology. :) I took Immunology as my final required bio course but that was way back in 1997 so what little I do remember is obsolete now.
Are you taking grad or undergrad level courses?

J

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Cool stuff Leila. I forecast that Bioinformatics is in your future. ;) There are a few books on that subject, most notable is one published by O'Reilly. One day I'll look into that subject - once I wait a year or two to ensure it isn't a fad. :D

Biology - I could never get into it while at university. But sometimes wish I did only because of the social opportunities I missed!

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Dome:

If you have any questions about any aspect of medical school (admission, courses, post-graduate training), don't ever hesitate to ask. I graduated less than 10 years ago, so I'd like to think that I can be of some help. :D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Today we were learning about the stretch reflex and all those wonderful neurons and motor neurons involved. Unfortunately, I had an attack of allergies in class, and I tried my best to fight a runny nose and keep up with the professor. I look down at my notes and said to myself, "What the hell is this Golgi thing? Oh yeah, it helps slow down muscular contraction."

:)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
If you don't have any luck getting into a traditional medical school you could always go the D.O. route. They are exactly the same in the eyes of the American Medical Association.

Jeff

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
They are exactly the same in the eyes of the American Medical Association.
Without derailing the thread, allow me to comment.

First of all, there is a difference in osteopathic (D.O.) and allopathic (M.D.) medical training, although the difference may now be less substantial than in the past. We do sit for the same licensing exam (the USMLE Steps 1, 2 and 3), and the same state medical boards that license M.D.s also license D.O.s (at least in the states in which I am licensed). However, one would be hard pressed to make the argument that the amount or diversity of post-graduate training opportunities available to D.O.s is as large as for M.D.s. I'm not casting judgement here, just reporting my experience as an M.D.

And, finally, the American Medical Association has nothing to do with it. The AMA doesn't license us or ratify us in any way. It is simply an organization that doctors can choose to belong to or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks