What's new

Any petitions to stop edge enhancement ??? (1 Viewer)

Andy_MT

Second Unit
i've just been reading the WidescreenReview.com review of Forrest Gump. Once again, it looks as if excessive edge enhancement has been enforced by those chimps at paramount (not that paramount is the only studio that partakes in this madness).
is it just me or are the majority of video transfers on recently released DVDs deteriating in quality? i remember a time (not that long ago) when most transfers had smooth, film-ish like qualities. but titles like family man, cast away, forrest gump and countless others are looking more like transfers done back in the days in 97 (ringing and hard-edged appearance from EE), although obviously with better compression
why are the studios doing this? i would have predicted that by now, we should've all been enjoying flawness or at least near perfect video representations of these films. but it's going the other way.
i wonder if this has anything to do with J6P. you know, they want a sharper picture cause of their crappy set that they shelled out all of $50 for.
just out of curiosity, anyone out there who is actually for EE ? (granted, you sometimes get a nicer, sharper looking image on smaller sets, but what a price to pay)
so, any petitions out there to stop this insanity ?
thanks

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It seems to me that doing countless online petitions means nothing to the companies.
However, if you got even 1,000 people to do write Paramount a letter (or whichever company), as opposed to 10,000 to sign an online petition, THEN they might start listening.
There's even a petition up now for George Lucas to change the name of Episode II! It's petition madness!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I say we start a petition to stop the petitions! :)
Edge Enhancement has to go. Period.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Chill with these petition ideas already. Overusing them for trivial issues makes the important petitions appear less important.
J

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Petitions generally don't work. Neither do emails. If you want your complaint to be taken seriously, write a letter and invest in a 34 cent stamp.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Andy_MT

Second Unit
you could be onto something. i think you can have too many petitions.
however, edge enhancement ISN'T trivial. too many transfers are ruined by this. i still can't believe studios do this to their films, especially knowing the kind of quality DVD is capable of.
i'm personally not convinced the studios could give a **** what we think or feel, regardless of what method we use, petition, letter or otherwise. they just sniff out the $$$.
tsk!, their most loyal customers and this is how we're treated.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
This will be an even bigger fight than stopping companies from releasing non-OAR movies. You have to convince people that EE is a nuisance. I lack the high-end setups most people on this forum have, so I don't notice ANY EE unless I'm actually looking for it. I'm the closest thing to J6P on here, and I'm not completely sold on EE at all. Try convincing J6P that EE really exists, and you've got a big battle ahead.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
i've just been reading the WidescreenReview.com review of Forrest Gump.
Sorry, but I'll wait for the disc to arrive before I get excited. Widescreen Review isn't the last word on a disc's quality; their judgment on image is as subjective as any reviewer's.
Andy, you and I must have different standards (or different equipment -- probably both). I've seen Family Man and Cast Away, and I didn't notice any obvious edge enhancement on either title.
M.

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Try convincing J6P that EE really exists, and you've got a big battle ahead.
How true.
laugh.gif

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think that most of the "edge enhancement" that people think they're seeing is really MPEG artifacts. MPEG video tends to create artifacts at edges that look like "edge enhancement".
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks