Any Percussionists out there ? (Congas, Timbales, etc)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kirk Gunn, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I played drums in high school and really enjoyed it. Now that I'm older and have some disretionary income, I'd like to get back into percussion (just not with a full-blown kit - my family would kill me).

Looked at some conga sets at a local music store, and

http://www.instrumentuniverse.com/percussion/

has some pretty good setups.

Anyone have any tips or comments for a percussion start-up ? I'll be playing along with some buddies that do typical acoustic stuff.

Thanks

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I have a small collection of djembes that I use to supplement my drumkit, so I can only comment on those. Basically, I prefer the Remo models that don't have the hoop right around the edge of the head. LP models have a hoop like a regular drum, and it seemed to me that the tone wasn't as pure, and rimshots (if there are such a thing w/ hand percussion) were more difficult to get to sound right. The Remo djembes that I use have heads with a rim about 3" high, and the hoop fits very low on them, leaving quite a bit of room for good rimshots and such. I know all this doesn't make much sense when typed, but take it for what it's worth [​IMG]