What's new

Any Percussionists out there ? (Congas, Timbales, etc) (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I played drums in high school and really enjoyed it. Now that I'm older and have some disretionary income, I'd like to get back into percussion (just not with a full-blown kit - my family would kill me).

Looked at some conga sets at a local music store, and

http://www.instrumentuniverse.com/percussion/

has some pretty good setups.

Anyone have any tips or comments for a percussion start-up ? I'll be playing along with some buddies that do typical acoustic stuff.

Thanks

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I have a small collection of djembes that I use to supplement my drumkit, so I can only comment on those. Basically, I prefer the Remo models that don't have the hoop right around the edge of the head. LP models have a hoop like a regular drum, and it seemed to me that the tone wasn't as pure, and rimshots (if there are such a thing w/ hand percussion) were more difficult to get to sound right. The Remo djembes that I use have heads with a rim about 3" high, and the hoop fits very low on them, leaving quite a bit of room for good rimshots and such. I know all this doesn't make much sense when typed, but take it for what it's worth :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks