Any people in the Phoenix area?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by mike_decock, Oct 29, 2003.

1. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

Just want to see if any folks in the Phoenix area are interested in doing any meets.

-Mike...

2. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

I'm here in Tempe

3. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Hey Mike, there you are!

I had been sending your email address several invites to stuff here in Austin to no avail. Was wondering where you had gone? I have finally managed to get a turntable added to my rig, and knowing you to be a vinyl junkie... well anyhow.

So are you in AZ on a temporary or more permanent basis?

4. mike_decock

5. mike_decock

6. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Nottingham Spacedeck
    Hadcock 242SE tonearm w/ Incognito wiring
    Benz Micro ACE H2 cartridge
    and a Granite Audio 770fp Preamp

Very nice set-up!

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Hi Mike! Don't forget us back here in Austin. I hope you're in a good group of A/V nuts out there.[​IMG]

8. mike_decock

Scott:

That's a great rig! Did you get an RCM too? I went with a VPI HW-16.5 and it works like a champ. I would also recommend the Disc Doctor brushes and cleaning fluid.

Hank:

I actually don't know any other HT or Audio nuts out here and I'm hoping to find a few. I really enjoyed hanging out with the Austin group whenever I had the chance to make the treck from Temple. Hope you are all doing well.

-Mike...

9. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

10. mike_decock

Hey Mat:

Kudos on the masters. I'm currently beating myself up for not pursuing a degree and I'm thinking about going back to school.

My current setup isn't spectacular but I really enjoy it:

Projector: Sanyo Z1
    DVD Player: Liteon LVD-2001
    Preamp: Audio Research LS3
    Amp: Audio Electronic Supply Superamp
    Speakers: GR-Research Paradox 1
    Turntable: VPI Scout with Shure V15VxMR
    Phono Preamp: Audio Electronic Supply PH-1

This is all set up in my 10x14 bedroom with limited seating (2).

When would you like to meet up? I'm currently not working (taking a break after 3 years of working out of state) so anytime is fine with me.

-Mike...

11. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

Hey Mike! Another Austinite invading your thread [​IMG] I just picked up a Clearaudio Champion Level 2 turntable with RB250 and V15x cart. I haven't set it up yet. Went out on a limb with the V15x. It has a rep for having a flatter freq response than most other similarly priced carts, which is what attracted me to it. What are your impressions of it?

12. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

What we should do is ask a Moderator if s/he can supply us with some email addresses of all the AZ members on here. I did a search and there's at least 100 different people. Maybe we could start working out some events?

As far as meeting up, I just met a guy from www.audiocircle.com who has a killer setup at his house near the Mayo Clinic. He's got VMPS RM40's with Sonic Frontiers and PS Audio electronics...amazing stuff.

13. mike_decock

Hey Jonathan,

Congrats on the Clearaudio. I was debating between the Champion and the Rega P3 when I got a great deal on the VPI (which I couldn't resist, it's such a sexy table). The upgradeability of the Champion is very appealing.

I think the V15x is about the most sensible audiophile cartridge to buy. It isn't terribly expensive, it's very neutral and has a flat frequency response making it a great cartridge for any style of music. It's also one of the best trackers so it's less likely to damage your vinyl.

I don't know if you've heard of it, but I've seen it reported on Audio Asylum that but you can mail the cartridge to Shure and have the stylus replaced for $20. Knowing that occasional stylus replacement is part of owning a turntable made it a real no-brainer for me.

-Mike...

14. mike_decock

I doubt a moderator would give us a list of e-mail addresses (privacy, we could be spammers, etc). Our best chance would probably be to write up an e-mail and have them send it out for us. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to ask them for suggestions on getting the word out to see if others are interested in meeting up.

My favorite events with the Austin group were the shootouts where members bring their preamps, cables, projectors, whatever for comparison. Unfortunately, my HT is too small to have more than 3 or 4 people at a time but I'd be happy to host if people don't mind taking turns evaluating.

Most of all, I think it's just fun to get together with other folks who are into the hobby, share ideas and see how other people have set up their systems. Whether it's on a budget or really pricey, it's always an opportunity to learn something new.

-Mike...

15. TomHansen

TomHansen Agent

I'm in Chandler. Nice to meet everyone.

Thanks,

Tom Hansen

16. mike_decock

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the thread. Hopefully once some more people find it, things will pick up a little.

What's your current setup?

-Mike...

17. TomHansen

TomHansen Agent

I recently went on a shopping spree to upgrade everything I have.

Panasonic 53WX53 HD Widescreen RPTV
    TiVo Series 2 80 GB DVR
    Samsung 351 OTA HD Tuner
    Pioneer Elite 53TX Reciever
    7.1 Setup of 25 Series Klipsh Speakers
    SVS 20-39 Subwoofer
    Denon 1600 DVD Player

I also have on order a new color analyzer and HD signal generator for calibrating. Got my ISF certification early this year and am hoping to someday get a good side-business going. Got a lot of things to learn.

18. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Bump, there's gotta be more AZ people in here...[​IMG]