What's new

Any Pearl Jam fans? (1 Viewer)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
How did I miss this topic for a week?? HUGE PJ fan here. They've been my favorite band since 93 and have never dropped from that spot for a second. Only been to one show though, but it was amazing, fo course.

I dunno if I can really but the albums in order of preference, but here goes...

6 - Binaural

5 - No Code

4 - VS

3 - Yield

2 - Ten

1 - Vitalogy

I guess that's ok. To be honest, I'm not sure why I always put Vitalogy on top. Nothingman, Satans Bed and Stupid Mop are some of my least favorite things they've ever released, but Immortality, Corduroy, Tremor Christ and Spin the Black Circle make up for it.

Chance #3: Rain thinks "maybe if I just go down on the night of the show, they will let more people in." Rain does this, but after being outside in the cold for about 30 minutes after the show starts, having already seen Michael Stipe, Peter Buck and Mike Mills from R.E.M. (in town recording an album) go inside to the show, Rain gives up and goes home. Upon arriving home 15 minutes later, Rain finds a message on his machine telling him they started letting people in right after he left. Rain runs back, but it's too late.

Nearly the same thing happened to me (although I never saw REM)! I never got through to the Fox, so I went down to the Commodore pretty early to see what was going on. After being harrased by the cops a bit, and seeing a guy who looked like had been begging for change all day pull out a wad of bills to pay someone $300 to get in with them, I was getting a little discouraged. Nothing seemed to be going on, and there were no hints that anyone would be let in. After after 3 or 4 of PJ's set, and realising that I couldn't really hear anything outside, I left so that I wouldn't be too tired the next day (I had to work at 6AM). The next morning I found out they had started letting people in probably about 5-10 minutes after I left. Sigh.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Kinda funny that you put No Code towards the bottom of your list. Most people who are huge fans put it at the top. But I hafta agree with you, VS and Vitalogy are in my CD player waaaaay longer.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Like I said, it's hard to make a list. I love much of No Code, In My Tree is one of my favorite PJ songs and I never tire of Sometimes, Hail, Hail, Red Mosquito, or the raw energy of Lukin. But I do tend to skip past Who You Are, Habit, I'm Open and Present Tense far too often for it to be at the top of the list.

I'm actually surprised I put Ten so high. While it is overproduced and is not much like the band these days at all, ever single song on the disc is completely listenable and in their own way memorable. Alive still has the same effect on me as it did the day I made an entire tape repeating that one song (it was actually of their SNL performance) and I truely have a hard time picking my favorite song after that.

Vs was a strange album, I loved it but tired of it quickly. By the time Vitalogy came out hardly a year later, I was very ready for something new. But at some point, it grew on me again and I can listen to it over and over without tiring. I was actually tempted to put it at #1 because of this, but to knock it down a bit. Leash makes me cringe and must be passed.

Perhaps a better measure of what I like would be a listing of the CD I made.

-Sometimes

-State of Love and Trust

-Alive

-Corduroy

-In My Tree

-Insignificance

-In Hiding

-I Got Shit

-Oceans

-Hail Hail

-Reaviewmirror

-Tremor Christ

-Rival

-Faithful

-Grievance

-Immortality

-Indifference

The only Caveat is that I did try to keep it to mostly songs from the albums (with a few cheats) and have a fairly even number from each one. I would have put Wash on there had my CD not been stolen.

JonTurner

Auditioning
Don't post here much (in fact basically never), but seeing that it's PJ, I've gotta chime in.
I've been a diehard fan for many a year, and yeah, I've got all the albums, the DVDs, all 72 official bootlegs (and plenty of unofficial ones), I'm a member of the tenclub, and everything else. Unfortunately, I have only been to one show (Greensboro during the 2000 tour), but I do have about 30 concerts on video ;)
But alot of you are just like me in all the above... the one thing that's irked me while reading this thread is the No Code bashing, such as:
IMHO, No Code shouldn't even be on the list. I'm sorry, but that album just plain sucks.
Not only have I had No Code at the top of my PJ albums list for a few years straight now, but I believe it to be the greatest album ever made, bar none.
It's not really possible to describe why I feel the way I do about each song, but can you possibly deny the power of Present Tense (my co-fave PJ tune, along side I Got Sh*t) or the brilliant drum work and beauty of In My Tree. On top of this, you get introspective work like Sometimes and I'm Open, a Young Neil (as Eddie calls him) inspired rocker in Red Mosquito, and even a lullaby to close the album!
It's impossible to describe how I feel about every song on it individually, but as much as I love every album PJ's released, No Code definitely tops my list.
1) No Code
2) Vitalogy
3) Ten
4) Vs.
5) Yield
6) Binaural
Of course, the b-sides like I Got Sh*t, Wash, Footsteps, Alone, SOLAT, and so many more comprise most of my favorites.
Anyhoo, that's all from me for now... give No Code another chance, PLEASE!

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
All 72 official bootlegs? Damn! Do you listen to anything else??

Which is your fave?

Not only have I had No Code at the top of my PJ albums list for a few years straight now, but I believe it to be the greatest album ever made, bar none.

You forgot to mention the cool packaging.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I gave No Code plenty of chances and the album just does not sound good to me. I don't know, call me a non-fan, but I really do think the album is no good. I will admit though, the packaging is one of the best ever.

-Dean-

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah - I gotta agree that No Code was a let down. The strong tracks are strong, the weak tracks are weak, and the album has no "flow" for me. All of my PJ albums reside in my 200 disc changer except No Code and the first live album (and I have all except for Binaural and any of the "boots").

Now (and here's where I am walking into bashing material - be kind, it's just an opinion), I am not a die hard fan in the respect that I can name all the band memebers, but I know they had a new drummer at the time of No Code. I felt that the "new" drummer was technically more proficient than the former one - hell, he could replace Palmer in ELP - but he didn't "fit" with the band. His style involved elaborate fills that seemed to take away from the "swing"* and "snap" the previous drummer posesed. The prior drummer drove the band. On No Code - I felt like the band needed to showcase the diversity of their drummer. A subtle difference, and one that SHOULDN'T overshadow the songs, but it did for me.

*Regarding "swing" - when did this become a bad word? We took the swing out of jazz, the roll out of rock. One of the things that first attracted me to PJ was that they rocked.... and rolled. Regardless of the NEED to replace their drummer, the replacement sounded like a professional arena rock musician. To me - - - they lost the roll.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
PJ's Drummers have been

Dave Krusen - Who drummed on Ten and then left the band shortly afterwards. Since then he's been in a few different bands including Candlebox and is now a member of Unified Theory (which he left and then rejoined awhile ago).

Dave Abruzzeee - Replaced Krusen and did a lot of the live shows supporting Ten (he's in all 4 videos). Drummed on Vs and Vitalogy and was fired shortly after Vitalogy was completed. Still the favorite of many fans for the exact reasons you state.

Jack Irons - Drummed on No Code and Yield. Was a friend of the bands and was the one responsible for introducing Ed to Stone and Jeff. While I agree that he might not have suited the band, some of his contributions were great, and has been credited somewhat with keeping the band together through the time he was with them. Jack ended up "quiting" shortly into the Yield tour. There was some question as to if he'd come back to record or not. Not any more though.

Matt Cameron - Current drummer and former Soundgarden drummer. Matt actually did the drumming for the demo tape that was sent to Ed in San Diego, so in a way I guess they came full circle. I'd say a great fit for the band and seems to really come into his own during a live show. Can't quite get through In My Tree as well as Jack, but oh well.

Yup, almost as many drummers as Spinal Tap, and probably more information than you really needed to know.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Matt Cameron is an excellent drummer and a great addition to the band (and don't forget the wonderful work on Temple of the Dog with Stone, Jeff, Mike and Chris).

Just picked up Touring Band DVD and Matt sure is in command behind the set. Loved him in Soundgarden, love him in PJ.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Matt Cameron is an excellent drummer and a great addition to the band
I couldnt agree more. And I think each drummer brought his own distinct sound to the band. Dave A. was just awesome and VS, and Jack Irons was the first showing of a more mature Pearl Jam. Matt Cameron is just one more step ahead. Keep on rockin.

ace peterson

Second Unit
I have to bring this thread back! Sorry I missed it the first go-round, but I was thinking of starting a thread about how great the Touring Band 2000 DVD is. I did a search first on the topic and came across this thread. It's too good to let pass into the archives...

I just wanted to say that I am so addicted to that DVD! Is anyone else?? Almost every single night I end up watching that thing, and before I know it two hours have passed by. It simply kicks a$$. I don't know how I got by for so long without it. It was on my Christmas list this year, and I didn't get it. So I went out and bought it myself instead of waiting until next year! Man, I'm glad I did! So many great songs, particularly MFC, Daughter w/It's OK tag, Given to Fly, Leatherman, BetterMan, etc etc.. Also that In My Tree 'Matt Cam' rules! Someone else commented on the video quality sucking a$$, but I think the music makes up for any video quality issues and then some.

I'm surprised reading this thread that so many of you don't like No Code! I think that is by far the BesT album Pearl Jam has put out! You can't call yourself a Pearl Jam fan if you don't like No Code. One reason: In My Tree.

My ranking:

1.No Code

2.Vitalogy

3.Ten

4.Vs

5.Yield

6.Binaural

Do we have any information at all on PJ's next tour? I haven't been to their site for a while, but maybe I will check it out next... I can't wait for more!

Ace

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't Cameron play drums for Soundgarden? A much better,

miles above, better band than Pearl Jam could ever be.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Do we have any information at all on PJ's next tour?

Probably not for awhile, they're going to do their next album next and I'd hope tour for that whenever it comes out (you may of course see the odd show from time to time). Will be interesting to see what happens with them though as this album will be their last with Epic, and they have stated that they will not be signing with a major record label.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
3) They released every show on the 2000 Binaural tour as a 2-disc bootleg for $10.98, for the fans.
A lot of good that did... it still goes for $30 each at stores in Canada. More expensive then most 2-disc live CDs.

At Amazon and CDNow, it's priced the same as other CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks