What's new

Any Paramount Blu-ray 'branching' titles? (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I wonder if there are ANY Blu-ray titles by Paramount with seamless branching.

I am wondering because the first 6 Star Trek movies are headed for release likely this spring.

I much refer and also expect that Trek 2 & 6 will the the Director's/extended cuts. But I know that some folks prefer the theatrical(or would just like to have both versions)
i know how I would feel if they didn't release the longer versions. Very bad:frowning:
In fact, if they don't release the longer version this time I'll just wait till they do.

So, does Paramount have any history of releasing braching Blu-rays?

Thanks !!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The Undiscovered Country is my favorite of the Trek movies, but I won't spend money on the version with the Scooby Doo ending. Thus far, I don't think Paramount has released a multi-cut disc, and it looks like Zodiac is only the one version, so I'm expecting to pass on TUC again. :frowning:

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
^^^

Are you unaware that EVERY home video version of trek 6 has included the 'scooby doo' ending since the first release in 1992??

That's the reveal shot of Col West as the shooter.........

So you've been boycotting your favorite Trek movie for 17 years on home video because of 14 seconds worth of two inserted shots ??:laugh:

But thanks for the info on any Paramount movies featuring branching.
I also checked as best i could and found no such releases...

I know WB, Fox, Sony & Universal all have---unsure of any Disney branching.

I wish Paramount would do this for Trek 2 & 6, as both a first for the branching feature in the new format and in thanks to the Trek fans who have bought many different releases of the movies.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
In the theatrical version, it's not revealed that the "Klingon" sniper is actually a Starfleet officer trying to sow discord. The DVD version also had some tweaks beyond the VHS version (which is what I thought the poster was referring to), mainly in the mind-meld scene.

But there's no all-out "alternate ending" that I'm aware of.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say that; boycotts are organized and designed to hurt the targeted company. I'm just choosing not to buy an inferior version.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
ST:TMP shouldn't have branching; instead they should offer both the recent restoration, and then the old tv version. They don't have to add the original theatrical version--because you'd get all that original footage in the tv version plus a lot more.

Wrath of Khan should be the longer version. There's not much added (maybe 4 minutes?) and it doesn't add much to the story, but I'm pretty much used to watching the movie that way.

Search for Spock? I don't know of any added footage. Is there more than one version? I thought the tv version was longer, but I don't think that version is what's on dvd at present.

Voyage Home: To my knowledge, there has never been a longer version on tv. And it's such a well-balanced film that I'd never, ever add anything to it.

Star Trek V: The Search For God: Shatner says there's a ton of stuff that got cut out. Again, I'm not sure if that extra stuff was ever added back in, for tv or wherever. In this case, I'd say ANY missing footage that could help this messy movie would be helpful.

TUC: Just leave the shooter guy in. I've never seen this film any other way. It's kind of a "Greedo shoots first" situation, but...

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning here. The whole reason that the original theatrical version should be included is that some viewers might not want "a lot more." What if they just want to watch the original version of the film that they saw in theaters? Why shouldn't they be accommodated?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The Trek movies (in fact all movies) should come with any/all alternate versions (when applicable).

FWIW I prefer the Theatrical cut of STII and would probably prefer the non-Scooby-Doo'd STVI (I've never seen the original theatrical cut)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks