Any painting tips for non painters?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenise, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I've painted a couple of rooms in our house over the past year-and-a-half, and in terms of the number of coats, it has depended on the paint color used and the quality of the existing paint on the walls.
    When we first moved in (new house) I painted the kitchen blue. I discovered that the paint that the builders used was lousy and they barely covered the walls. As a result, the first coat I put on soaked right into the drywall (almost like a primer coat). I ended up putting 3 coats on the walls.
    I painted a bathroom last month in a much lighter color and only needed two coats.
    After each coat, examine the walls carefully and look for spots where the paint did not cover the wall. If there are a number of spots like this, you may need an additional coat.
    In terms of tips, I learned to paint from my Dad, who taught me to use a roller in a "W" pattern to ensure smooth coverage. You guide the roller in the shape of a "W" to make sure you're going over the same spot a number of times to smooth out the paint.
    Good luck!
    ------------------
    Scott

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Buy quality paint and tools! Don't be afraid to spend ~$15 on a quality brush. If you take care of it, it will last you 20 years (brushes do not 'wear out'; people just don't clean them well after each use, then they toss 'em).
    Take your time. If you rush the job, it will show. Allow at least two days for a typical size room.
    Keep a rag in your pocket to wipe off any goofs as they happen.
    Move as much furniture from the room as humanly possible.
    Figure at least two coats, more likely three. Don't get discouraged if it looks like crap after the first coat or two; it will look great after three.
    Crank up the music and have a good time!
    Good luck,
    Jon
    ------------------
    --Owner of the North American rights to the small-orange-for-a-head joke. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/005319.html

4. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

A few things I have learned along the way in addition to what has been mentioned...
    Unless you are doing black,pick your color,then go a few shades lighter.We wanted a yellow kitchen.I think the color we picked out was pineapple.Well,on the card,it looked very light..like we wanted.It was to be very light yellow with white trim.Well,once on the walls..GET OUT THE SUNGLASSES.It was crazy bright.
    Another thing,take your time.Take the time to tape stuff off,tape down drop clothes etc. It will pay off in the end.Tape costs less then new carpet and is easier to hang than cleaning paint off of trim or whatever.
    ------------------
    Chad's DVDs

5. RichardJS

RichardJS Extra

As already mentions, definitely use quality materials and tools. I bought some cheap paint once, and I ended up using twice as much.
    Also make sure the walls are properly prepared. Patch any holes, but make sure the patch is sanded completely flat. Once you put paint on it, small imperfections seem to jump out. Walls must be clean, and if you wash them, make sure they have enough time to dry. I once tried to wash in the morning and paint in the afternoon, and a spot where I had patched absorbed some water and the paint bubbled here immediately.

6. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

To add to what Chad mentioned, it's usually a good idea to paint a patch of the paint on the wall, let it dry, and then examine it. Make sure you like the color on the wall as much as you did on the swatch, since Chad's right - paint tends to turn out darker on the wall than it looks on the sample swatch.
    ------------------
    Scott

7. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Use a good primer to start. Then a good paint w/ good rollers. Like everyone else said.
    My experiences are:
    Home Depot Behr paint - needs 2 coats over primer
    Olympic Superior (I think that was it) - Only a couple dollars more/gallon and it worked in 1 coat. Well worth it.
    Go slow. If you're really new at painting check out www.hgtv.com or the paint manufactures web sites, they all have painting tips. Like the "W" approach which works quite well.
    Good luck.

8. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Yes, I would also like to add. Be sure you lay down plastic on the floor (assuming you don't need paint on the floor) and be sure to tape it down really well. Otherwise it moves all over and it becomes more of a hassel than anything else.

9. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I agree,check out www.hgtv.com,I have not been there but I am sure there is a portion of the site dedicated to the show..room by room.THe man on there is/was a pro painter and has some awsome ideas.
    ------------------
    Chad's DVDs

10. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

11. Norm Smith

Norm Smith Auditioning

What about painting over speaker wire? My speaker wire (AR 16 gauge) runs under my baseboard and then up along my window frame to the rear speakers. A coat of paint over the wire would sure help to hide it better, but would it damage my wire in any way?