Any Paintballers Here?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Shannon, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Hey everyone. I just bought my first paintball gun, a Tippman 98 Custom, along with a Progressive 14" barrel. It's a great starter and intermediate gun alike, IMO.

So, who here owns their own gun and plays regularily? If so, what do you have, and what modifications have you made to it?

2. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I don't play regularly but did play my first game ever about a month or two ago with some buds. Very fun game, I took a classic hit right in the back and that one hurt left me with a bruise and a small welt for about a week. I may be picking up a gun soon.

3. Mark Shannon

I played my first game about a year ago, but have been playing more recently as my brother bought his own marker. I finally decided I was sick of using the crap rental guns and foggy masks, and decided to spring for my own. Luckily I've never been shot bad enough to leave anything more than a small mark. It does hurt when the paintball splinters on your knuckle though, and the plastic embed itself in your skin.

4. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

My first marker was a Tippman Carbine 68. I went through a couple different markers after that (Airgun Designs AutoMag, Autococker, etc...) but I ALWAYS missed that gun. I should have kept it. OH THE REMORSE! There was a time when I was into playing very very heavily, but then my buddies started dropping off one by one, getting burned out, and so did I. Would love to find a Tippman like that one I had and start playing again.

5. Mark Shannon

Topher, you mean one of these Tippmann Procarbines? I'm going to assume Roanoke isn't in Canada, but nonetheless, that's the site I ordered my marker from.

Here's the Procarbine.

This is the one I recently bought, the 98 Custom. I got the black one. Silver just doesn't do it for me.

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

A buddy of mine had both the silver and black. He bought the silver one when they first came out and that was all they had, later on he bought a second so he could loan it to others when we played (he's generous that way). I have a cheap gun myself, I think it's a Stingray II (it's a fairly common $100 marker that is made by that company owned by Daisy). Fairly reliable, and ok on the accuracy. It always worked well for me but I would've liked a Tippman, that is a sweet gun. After I moved to Texas I stopped playing though, I prefer to play with friends rather than a bunch of strangers on a public field.

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I think I still have a scar on my back from one. We played on private property, so we didn't have to calibrate our guns, and we didn't have any means to. A friend of mine had spent a lot of time doing every tweak possible to his gun (the same model as mine). Later on we got a chronometer and found out he was shooting upward of 400fps. One time he came up behind me and was pretty damn close (I'd say less than 10 feet) and nailed me in the small of the back. It hurt bad, and later on when I took off my shirt I found blood on it. I had a half-circle mark on my back that stayed for a long time, and may still be there.

Another time I took a shot to a very sensitive part of the male anatomy. I was crouched behind a pallet, with my knees spread, and my opponent was behind a pallet a good distance away. Somehow the paintball got between the slats in the pallet, and right between my knees, and it didn't break. Although I wasn't hit by our rules, I left that game.

8. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Nah, Roanoke is in Virginia and nope... not the Procarbine, that one is a little different from the Carbine 68. Different front handle and look. Same internals though. All the Tippmans are excellent markers.

Speaking of wounds, I once caught a nasty shot to my neck. NOT COOL. It looked like a giant infected hicky! [​IMG]
    We were never the most careful people when we played, except at tournaments. My buddy got shot in the Janet once.

*Janet=Nipple [​IMG]

9. Mark Shannon

[​IMG]A pro at the PB place I go to told me that's enough to shatter bones!

10. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I play paintball quite often. My setups relatively low-end.

I have a Spyder Imagine (electro-trigger up to 13 shots/sec) with a 12 volt Revvy loader and a 12" J&J Ceramic barrel.

There are some pics of my old and new markers here:Paintball Pics .

Evantually I want to buy a Dragun TES or "The One". They are capable of 20 and 30 bps respectively.[​IMG]

11. Mark Shannon

That's a pretty nice gun you have there, Justin. Very simple and effective. When I get my gun, I know I most likely wont do any of the high end technical upgrades for my gun, such as ebolt, response trigger, and egrip. I know that I will probably get a remote line after I've had it for a while. Other than that, and with my 14" Smart Parts barrel, I think I'll be pretty happy.

I'll try to post some pics once it's delivered.

12. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I actually am a back player on an amateur team. Which means I usually just rain paint on the other team. Can be prety expensive to play this position though.

13. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I used to play paintball, but got tired of the bruises. I got into Airsoft about a year ago and am much more satisfied with the game......and it hurts a whole lot less!![​IMG]

14. Mark Shannon

Justin, I prefer to be a back player too. I'm not too privvy on running up front only to get bombarded by shots.

15. Mark Shannon

Yahoo! The gun came in the mail today. It's so beautiful. Tippmann 98 Custom with a 14" Progressive barrel. I'm in heaven! I think I might go paintballing tonight.