Any owners of the original "South Pacific" please chime in.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oswald Pascual, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

I was wondering if the "South Pacific" DVD is anamorphic or not and if anyone could comment on the video and audio quality of this DVD.
    Thanks
    Ozzie

2. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Just watched it tonight. I'm afraid it is not anamorphic and the video quality is not up to 2001 standards but stands up quite nicely considering we are dealing with 43 year old material. The audio is 5.1 but similarly not of recent vintage quality though to be able to squeeze this much sound (I believe it won an Oscar for sound) out of such a vintage film is phenomenal.
    I wish there was a bit more in terms of extras (only a short newsreel, cast and crew bios and production notes are included). This seems fertile ground for Fox to reissue this one with an anamorphic treatment and a few extras that must still be around.
    - Joel
    [Edited last by Joel Vardy on August 21, 2001 at 06:38 AM]

3. Oswald Pascual

Thanks Joel for the comments.
    Thats what I was afraid to hear. To bad we still have some of these classics out without the special treatments.
    Maybe FOX will revisit this one sometime.
    Ozzie

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    It's been said before here, but bears repeating...
    Fox should seriously look into releasing new special edition DVDs with improved video for many of their musicals:

South Pacific
    The King and I
    Oklahoma!
    Carousel

I bought them all in 1999, but they really deserve better treatment.
    Even The Sound of Music 5-star special edition should be re-done with a better video transfer.

5. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Disney's "South Pacific" with Glenn Close is coming 8/28 and boasts both DD and DTS 5.1 presentations. A review copy arrived yesterday and although I haven't gotten through all of it, it looks (and sounds) quite nice so far.
    Sort of off-topic, but I thought it might be of some interest.

6. Oswald Pascual

Thanks Aaron for the info on Disneys South Pacific, but it pales in comparison to the classic IMHO and I have zero interest personally in that version. The Original South Pacific won an Oscar for Best Sound in 1959, and was nominated for several other awards as well. This movie is a true classic musical the needed to get a proper S.E. treatment on release. Hopefully FOX will consider it.
    Ozzie

7. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Isn't the new version 1.33:1?
    Ted

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes, it would be nice to have these musicals revisited with new transfers and a decent supplement set.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

9. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Unfortunately, there are only about fifteen or so musicals which sell well - musicals in general don't sell very well on Home Video. The Rodgers and Hammerstein films do sell well, so chances are good they will be re-visited in the future.

10. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I would really like to see a new anamorphic transfer of South Pacific - I passed up the original release precisely because it was not anamorphic.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The original version of South Pacific is the only DVD that I have been forced to watch in interlaced mode since upgrading to a progressive scan player. The combing was so bad the film was unwatchable on my old Toshiba 6200 (I have not tried the title on my new Panasonic RP-91).
    The non-anamorphic transfer is not very good. Like others have stated, I wish Fox would revisit some of their early classic musical releases.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5